Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Thumbs down on Leupold MK 4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 06:52 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Thumbs down on Leupold MK 4

Have you ever looked through an IOR next to a Leupold? You might want to try that before throwing so many stones. IOR glass really does make you want to put all your Leupolds on Ebay the first time you do.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A View Post
Have you ever looked through an IOR next to a Leupold? You might want to try that before throwing so many stones. IOR glass really does make you want to put all your Leupolds on Ebay the first time you do.
If you're referring to me, yes I have. I never said anything wrong with the IOR or any of the other scopes mentioned, in fact, I like all of them.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

Before this gets out of hand I didn't mean to stir up any thing so i will restate what I said
in a different way.

A scope is a package deal it is all the things you like for the price you can afford.

You cant really compare any scope to another because they are not the same from
a standpoint of cost, features, durability,clarity,power, objective size,lens clarity,
field of view, construction materials. so there really is no good way to compare one
against the other.

I have 67 year old eyes and the brightness and clarity of the Leupold suits me fine
along with other things. I have nothing against any other scope except the realy
cheep ones ($200.00 and down) because they will not hold up with hard kicking
rifles and will let you down at the worst moment.

One of the brightest scopes I have owned was the Nikon buck masters but after two
tries they both failed (Nikon did not hesitate to replace them but I lost faith in them
on My big magnums) and placed the last one on my 17 HMR and love it.

The one thing interesting thing about Leupold is that they List there light gathering
ability and few other scope manufactures do that.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
I guess we have a difference in the definition of being "honest". Most posters I know here that makes an honest effort to share a constructive evaluation of a product that we can all use (esp. when it is done accordingly, no bias, not apples-to-oranges comparison, varying situations, etc ...) at least start off with IMHO, ....

Having said that, with all due respect IMHO, your evaluation was inconclusive and has no merit to recommend any of the scopes you mentioned over each other, just because your 52 old eyes (no pun intended) did not work when you look into the MK4 without any effort of adjustments, doesn't deserve your kind words.

BTW, I don't own a MK4.
I just asked the shooter next bench over if I could check out his scope.I adjusted his side focus a bit.I felt my 6500 had a better picture. Out of the box my scopes needed no adjustment on focus ring . I've owned a couple Leupolds and have looked through others most appear fuzzy to my eyes. But not all. Had a 3.5x10x40 VXIII on a 300 RUM that aided me in harvested a Bear. Now that Leupold performed flawlessly .
Old 02-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post

A scope is a package deal it is all the things you like for the price you can afford.

You cant really compare any scope to another because they are not the same from
a standpoint of cost, features, durability,clarity,power, objective size,lens clarity,
field of view, construction materials. so there really is no good way to compare one
against the other.

J E CUSTOM
I think there's a lot of truth to that. I would love nothing more than to try a Nightforce, supposed to be a half way decent scope from what I've heard. But, trying to get three kids through high school and college, it's just not in the cards, for now anyway.

I guess it's one of those to each his/her own. Maybe theres just a chance they're all pretty good. Hmm. Here is a pretty good link I found that gives some of the pros and cons of each.

6mm BR Scopes, Optics, Zooms for 6BR Norma target shooting--tests, specifications, accuracy and benchrest optical reviews.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Platinum Member

And what brand of scope do we see on that rifle?

Surely that is not a raggedy ole worthless Leupold V3 6.5-20X50mm with a gold ring.

Is the animal dead? You think maybe it is just taking a nap there in the sun?

It looks dead to me.

One thousand and six yards.

You just have no idea how long I had to wait for it to graze past 1000 yards before I took the shot,

Those six yards were important to me.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:01 PM
Bronze Member

I think we have all had some type of bad experience with a scope at 1 time or another especially if weve been huntin for a while. Just cause you get a bad apple dont mean the whole batch is sour. I know the older i get the worse my eyes are getting- should have my glasses on to type !!! When i started out all i could afford were simmons and tasco 50.00 dollar scopes ,working and raising 3 kids you get what you can afford and are glad you got it. I know where your coming from moman. Now i have burris leupold and a zeiss and like all of them. One of these days im gonna get a huskemaw and a night force -ive looked through both and my eyes liked them both ( at the moment ). I would really like to look through IOR and a Bushnell 6500 and a few others. I guess what im takin the long way around to say is ,i would get the best i can afford with the features i want and get proficient with it. Like you say dead is dead ,it never knew what you were looking through. And like i tell my hunting buddys that are always giving me crap about 1 thing or another ...its MY gun and scope so dont worry about it ,you dony have to shoot it !