Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Thumbs down on Leupold MK 4

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Thumbs down on Leupold MK 4

Loopy makes a good mid line product no doubt but to compare them to the best Euro and US made scopes is not fair.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Gold Member

Sounds to me like Iron Worker gave an honest assessment of what he actually experienced. The Leupolds are a functional optical sight but are not considered best in their class by a growing number of experienced shooters.

If you still like and buy Leupold then I certainly have no problem with that. Loyalty is a very good quality and they are as close to American made as any except US Optics (I have heard they are American made 100%). I assist in the reloading of more than 40 rifles and mount all the scopes for my friends. Typically after a short talk and demonstration (usually at the range), they are removing their Leupolds and buying Zeiss Conquests. Personally I have a lot of Kahles, Zeiss Diavaris and Zeiss Conquests.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woods View Post
Sounds to me like Iron Worker gave an honest assessment of what he actually experienced. The Leupolds are a functional optical sight but are not considered best in their class by a growing number of experienced shooters.

If you still like and buy Leupold then I certainly have no problem with that. Loyalty is a very good quality and they are as close to American made as any except US Optics (I have heard they are American made 100%). I assist in the reloading of more than 40 rifles and mount all the scopes for my friends. Typically after a short talk and demonstration (usually at the range), they are removing their Leupolds and buying Zeiss Conquests. Personally I have a lot of Kahles, Zeiss Diavaris and Zeiss Conquests.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker View Post
Am I out of my mind ? Today I just mounted a Bushnell elite 6500 2.5x16 x50MM onto my rifle. Last week I mounted my new IOR 2.5x10x42MM on another rifle. IOR is better then the 6500. Shooter next bench over had a 3.5x10x 40MM Leupold MK4 . That scope wilted in comparison to my 6500 elite. IOR made it look like the MK4 came out of a Cracker jacks box. Totally un impressed by the MK 4.
Where's the honest assessment?

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
Its in there ! I was honest in reporting what my 52 year old eyes that need glasses saw. I was impressed with the one poster saying each others eyes react differently to various coatings.... When I looked through the MK 4 I saw a fuzzy image along with my eye had to be dead center plus it was a 3.5x10 x40mm with a side focus ???? Why does it need that ? My IOR doesn't have one and it in focus on any distance 10yds out. Trijicon 2.5x10x56MM doesn't have a side fucus either.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Silver Member

I own a mark 4, and so far it is my all around favorite scope. I have a swarovski and kahles, and while there glass quality may be slightly better than the mark 4, the mark 4 has lots of other features that IMHO make it the better scope for my type of shooting.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Worker View Post
Its in there ! I was honest in reporting what my 52 year old eyes that need glasses saw. I was impressed with the one poster saying each others eyes react differently to various coatings.... When I looked through the MK 4 I saw a fuzzy image along with my eye had to be dead center plus it was a 3.5x10 x40mm with a side focus ???? Why does it need that ? My IOR doesn't have one and it in focus on any distance 10yds out. Trijicon 2.5x10x56MM doesn't have a side fucus either.

Sounds like you need to 'focus' the scope. When you use the side 'focus' this has more to do with paralax and less on focus. If you need to focus it, you adjust the REAR eye peice.

Focus it properly, then compare.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:42 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX

I guess we have a difference in the definition of being "honest". Most posters I know here that makes an honest effort to share a constructive evaluation of a product that we can all use (esp. when it is done accordingly, no bias, not apples-to-oranges comparison, varying situations, etc ...) at least start off with IMHO, ....

Having said that, with all due respect IMHO, your evaluation was inconclusive and has no merit to recommend any of the scopes you mentioned over each other, just because your 52 old eyes (no pun intended) did not work when you look into the MK4 without any effort of adjustments, doesn't deserve your kind words.

BTW, I don't own a MK4.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.

Last edited by FEENIX; 02-18-2010 at 06:45 AM.