Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

These scopes, quality vs. cost

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2005, 01:53 PM
Gold Member

Re: These scopes, quality vs. cost

Wake Up Guys. high wages in Germany are a thing of the past.
in my 1st (or 2nd) job as a Space Craft Controller for the European Space Agency i earn 10,000 less a year in Euro's than the same job in the UK earns in Pounds. there is no minimum wage here, average wage is maybe 250 pounds a week.
a single bloke no kids take approx 50% of his gross pay home with him, german social security, health insurance etc is at least double what the UK is.
a married bloke with 2 kids pays about 25% stoppages on his pay.
35 hr week is a thing of the past, i'm contracted for 40. i regularly do 72. 12 hrs per day (and 16 often)
yes we get 30 days vacation per year, and i get a week extra due to my veteran status. so i get 35. and tell you what, if we didn't get that many, we'd never see our kids or wives, it is impossible for a couple on normal wages to buy a house here, unless the wife works. kids need looking after during school holidays, which means both parents taking vacation in turns to be at home when the kids are out of school, no summer camps here, and child care is expensive.as are all the bloody school materials we have to by, when i was at school in the UK the books and writing material where provided,, not here..
shall i mention the priceof fuel, which has more than doubled in 4 years.
diesel costs 1 euro 10 cents. , petrol 1.25 to 1.36
i run lpg but still have a 450 + euro fuel bill every month ( thats 300 pounds. you can buy a house for that in the UK)
mortgages ? heating, water and lights ? i have to find
1900 euro a month to cover that. thats about 1270 pounds.
i an many other folks here turn every peny over before i spend it these days.

Now S&B can't offer a life time warranty due to EU and German fair trade regulations, the US and Jap scopes sold here only have the same limited warranty.

now, as the case is that ive only ever seen 2 S&B with faults (1 last week) but ive seen a shed load more from other companies that where broke, my bets are still on S&B..
and if io dammage the tube, well then its my own bloody fault.
if something breaks on my car inside the warranty,, they fix it,, but if i run up the arse end of a truck, then i pay to fix it.
S&B don't have many warranty repairs coming in. i think 8 weeks turn around is pretty good, if we send a leupold from here for repair, you are talking 8 months.
If you have occasion to deal with S&B. ask for Hans Bender personaly, hell bend over backwards ( Elwood will verify that). if he ain't there ask for Andreas Schaefer or Christian Krug. or Herr Gottgens. say Pete Lincoln said hi.
Is S&B better than Zeiss.. swarovski.
I was asked to quote prices for S&B for the UK Forestry Commission today, who apparently keep breaking thier swarovskis and zeiss.
The normal hunting scopes form all 3 are about the same price.
The PMII scopes are in a league of thier own.

pay your money, take your choice.

I ain'tparticularly fond of living here in kraut land. ive seen it go to the dogs sincethe wall came down. if it wasn't for the wife and kids i'd be working for Nasa, and building rifles in my spare time in the USA. This is Houston Precision, has a ring to it.. but i'd still be buying S&B scopes. #
Pete
Old 11-01-2005, 04:57 PM
Bronze Member

if you wanna consider a US Optics, do it now. John has T-PALs for sale at 2000$ each right now, that's 800$ off teh regular price. These are the scopes the Canadian Army has originally ordered for the Timberwolf rifle, before opting for S&Bs. They come in O/D green, if you can call it that. If you wanna check it out, head over to www.snipershide.com, and check the optics section
Old 11-02-2005, 03:36 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Great shooting pistol though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is. If only it didnt take a trailer to carry one. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]