Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Is there a difference in a Nightforce and a Schmidt & Bender???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 11:01 AM
Gold Member

Re: Is there a difference in a Nightforce and a Schmidt & Bender???

hmmm.....never having looked through a S&B but instead a NF I can say that for the $ the NF gives you alot. For the price point I dont see any other scope maker that offers the same or more really. My one beef about the NF is the heavier weight and the blueish somehwhat hazy resolution at max power. For $1800+ I'd expect it to at least give me better resolution at max power. That would always be something sticking in the back of my mind if I had one. Other than that I think they are rock solid any way you cut it. As far as S&B, well they're S&B you cant really go wrong unless you still needed to pay your property taxes after buying one.

Last edited by Hunter2678; 04-23-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by window licker View Post
Yeah i do, peel it off mudrunners rear window.
Funny how you seem to know that I have a Barska scope, since I definitely do not, nor have I ever owned one.
I'm glad you can no longer continue the scope conversation, so you move onto cheap personal insults, based on zero knowledge of the other person.........Gotta love fanboys. This site used to not be filled up by them, now it seems awefully cliqueish over my hiatus I took from the site.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member

Wow, it just hit me how retarded this is....

I'm done. Yall 2 idiots have fun arguing someone elses personal experiences that you weren't there for. I'm over this.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 04-23-2013, 06:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
I'm not trying to pull anyone off of anything. If you want a S&B, go buy it, they're great scopes. I'm stating what I've seen. But for you to tell me there is no possible way for ANY S&B scope to EVER be flawed is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard.

Now, if you want to continue this stupid ******* contest that you decided to initiate, go do it by yourself.

I don't own a Barska. I have some cheap scopes, and I have some high-end scopes. 3 of which are German glass.
I'm no fan boy nor am I under any illusion that S&B is perfect. I just happen to have seen first hand how they test a scope before it leaves and there is no possibility of a scope with poor optics escaping the line.

If it makes you feel any better I have sent 3 S&B scopes back for warranty repairs for mechanical problems. 1 springy rattle sound (inside the scope), 1 smashed front element, and 1 turret that stopped tracking properly.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Platinum Member

It doesn't make me feel any better, b/c I wasn't trying to say they were bad, b/c I KNOW they are great scopes. I was just saying that the last ones I looked through were cloudy around the edges, which I found to be odd...Yet somehow it blew up into this 4 page bullsh*t arguement b/c people thought I was badmouthing them...

I'm glad you understood X-man.

Now, maybe this stupid thread can get underway... LOL

Quote:
Old 04-24-2013, 12:00 AM
Silver Member

I am no fan boy, i just have used most of the stuff out there. Nightforce makes a good optic at that price point,, the question was is there a difference between nightforce and schmidt and bender and yes there absolutely is a difference. I am merely projecting my opinion ha ing used both in a match environment, not picking one up and looking through it in a store. I have three PMII rifle scopes, one sits on my coyote rifle a 22x47 lapua, one sits on my .284 win precision rifle, and one sits on my accuracy international AIAW .260 rem comp gun.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Hey, if you can't admit that your favorite brand of glass is capable of having flaws, then by all means continue to live in your little bubble. But in the real world, things break and things have imperfections....Including Schmidt & Bender scopes. So, if I were you, I'd realize what I was talking about before entering into a coversation with someone in your condescending tone. What i have and have not done in my life is 100% unknown to you. You don't know me, you don't have the slightest clue who I am. So, how can you be so condescending in your judgements, b/c someone else stated the opposite of what you think.

If you have S&B scopes, go for it. I'm not spending $4K on a damn scope, that a $2K scope will do just as good a job as.

But I don't hate on people who do, that would be purely ignorant for me to do such a thing.

I don't own a NF or an S&B, so whether you think I'm trying to pull someone away from S&B (if that's what you might think), then that's pretty sad. I'm just stating what I have seen and done in my life. If you can't handle or accept that, then go live your own instead of doubting mine.
I own neither, either and I'm not about to spend 4 grand on any scope. I have other priorities in life.

S&B IMO, is a status symbol, like wearing a Rolex or driving a Bugatti. Sure you'd love to have one, if, you had the disposable income, most don't. I will say I have a Rolex but it's used. Can't afford or don't want to pay 15 grand for a watch. Even a non working watch is right twice a day....lol

This my sope is better than your scope or my rifle is better than your rifle crap is actually amusing. Even the least inexpensive rifle or scope is actually better thaan 90% of the owners who own them.

Kind of reminds me of the clown who buys a 20 grand diesel utility tractor to mow his 1/2 acre with. Pure ego, nothing else.