Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Is there a difference in a Nightforce and a Schmidt & Bender???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 01:41 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Is there a difference in a Nightforce and a Schmidt & Bender???

Call it what you want, but without looking through those rose colored glasses, I can assure you I saw what I saw first-hand, no BS.

Schmidt can have a bad day, just like everyone else can. Man-made means there will be lemons. And THAT is a fact.

I don't dislike Schmidt, they've always made the best there is, but what I saw that day was horrific clarity.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:10 AM
Platinum Member

I'm hearing that March scopes are the best now.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:21 AM
Silver Member

Mudrunner what optics are you using on your rifles now? I have had several nightforce scopes in the past and i agree they are great scopes for the money, I have three schmidt&bender pmII's and can tell you from owning both not looking through a friends that the schmidt is on a whole other level.
You may want to tell the optics manager about the scopes in question so he can pull them and send them back to S&B for an assessment.
P.S. the focus knob is the is the furthest knob on the left side, i fear you may have been turning the illumination knob.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:18 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Call it what you want, but without looking through those rose colored glasses, I can assure you I saw what I saw first-hand, no BS.

Schmidt can have a bad day, just like everyone else can. Man-made means there will be lemons. And THAT is a fact.

I don't dislike Schmidt, they've always made the best there is, but what I saw that day was horrific clarity.
Schmidt does have the odd long term lemon mechanically, but not optically.
I got to tour the S&B factory and it is not what you might expect. The term factory does not really fit...facility might be a better term. It is very small and there are very few people working in it. Every lens is hand fitted then optically aligned with special microscope looking machinery. Then it is tested before it leaves the factory..by hand.

It is possible you looked through a hunting scope that had been dropped or driven over...As far as looking through a PMII and being disappointed?...well...that is not going to happen.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:34 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
I'm hearing that March scopes are the best now.
In time this may prove to be true., but....
Why does March only offer a 5 year warranty?
If I am spending Schmidt and Bender kind of money I want a Schmidt and Bender warranty.

March tells us this is a Japanese thing....Well....Nightforce has their optics done in Japan and what sort of warranty do they offer? Lifetime!

March and Premier both have great optics, but if you want to know how they stand up head over to Sniper's hide...Premier is a dirty word over there and March is brand new and just getting started (again). Check in with them in a few years....So far so good.

From what I have been hearing the new 34mm Nightforce scopes are giving them a run for their money, but I haven't seen one yet.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by window licker View Post
Mudrunner what optics are you using on your rifles now? I have had several nightforce scopes in the past and i agree they are great scopes for the money, I have three schmidt&bender pmII's and can tell you from owning both not looking through a friends that the schmidt is on a whole other level.
You may want to tell the optics manager about the scopes in question so he can pull them and send them back to S&B for an assessment.
P.S. the focus knob is the is the furthest knob on the left side, i fear you may have been turning the illumination knob.
This was about a year ago now.....I did tell my buddy who worked there, and he noticed the same thing. So I know it wasn't me imagining it. But I'm sure those scopes are long gone...

Also, what brand of scopes I own is redundant. I used to sell every brand of scope at that same location (when the store was owned by a different person). So I use clarity, light transmission, and crispness to determine a good scope for me, not a name brand or a price tag.

I can say I have never looked through a March, and only through 1 US Optics scope. So I can in no way pass any judgement on those brands.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 04-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-man View Post
Schmidt does have the odd long term lemon mechanically, but not optically.
I got to tour the S&B factory and it is not what you might expect. The term factory does not really fit...facility might be a better term. It is very small and there are very few people working in it. Every lens is hand fitted then optically aligned with special microscope looking machinery. Then it is tested before it leaves the factory..by hand.

It is possible you looked through a hunting scope that had been dropped or driven over...As far as looking through a PMII and being disappointed?...well...that is not going to happen.
I never said what model I looked through.....

And yes, it was a hunting model, b/c it didn't have tactical turrets.

Quote: