Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Is there a difference in a Nightforce and a Schmidt & Bender???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 11:42 AM
Silver Member

Re: Is there a difference in a Nightforce and a Schmidt & Bender???

I guess anything is possible ...i own several and mine are crystal clear..i have many scopes and my s & b are the clearest.i put my newest 5-22x56 g7 nightforce along side one of my 5-25x56 pmii
scopes and it,s a no contest for me... I believe what you are saying and i,am glad mine are perfect.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member

One of my shooting buddies (who occasionally frequents this site) was with me, and as I was picking one up to look throug it, he said, "Ooooh! Schmidt & Bender....." in a surprised voice. Then I made a face looking through it, and he asked what was up. I told him to look through it, as I was picking up another one to check it out to see if that one was just a bad one....The next one looked horrible, too. And so-on, and so-on.... I have never seen ONE bad Schmidt. Especially not 5 in a row. They were all the same model and reticle. I guess these were either some Monday or Friday scopes.

Either way, I haven't given up on Schmidt, it could have just very well been a bad batch of them, but I wouldn't have given them $500 for one of those...

Like I said, I'll never badmouth or write-off any company over something like that, b/c everything man-made will have a few lemons. About the only time I ever write-off a company completely is if their product is 100% junk, and their CS sucks and won't back up their products. Which I know for a fact, that Schmidt has one of the best CS departments I've ever encountered. Zeiss and Leupold have great CS, too.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:56 AM
Gold Member

I have both a S&B and NF. While both are excellent scopes, the Schmidt is in a different class. It has the best clarity and resolution of any scope I have ever used.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:45 AM
Gold Member

I'll just stay with NF for the money I don't see the need for a SB for the price dif NF is a hell of a scope
Old 04-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Platinum Member

I have a friend, thats on this site .He has shot a handfull of world records at 1000 bench,Penn.rules with NF.He had a S&B and said it wasnt as clear to his eyes and pulled it.This was 3-4 years ago.He shoots bench model 12-42 type
Old 04-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6x6 View Post
I have a friend, thats on this site .He has shot a handfull of world records at 1000 bench,Penn.rules with NF.He had a S&B and said it wasnt as clear to his eyes and pulled it.This was 3-4 years ago.He shoots bench model 12-42 type
I think you touched on a critical point when selecting a scope......what is most pleasing to ones' eye. The unfortunate thing is....most of the time...if you find a shop with these high end scopes in stock....you can't take them to the range or out in the field to compare them side by side. For me, I used to own a couple of NF scopes...one BR and one NXS. They both functioned flawlessly and had very decent glass. Once exposed to Schott glass...I was converted. I have a couple of Premiere and IOR scopes. For my eyes....the Schott glass provides a crisper image and I find the colors to be more true. The NF wasn't as clear, esp. on the top end of the magnification range. I also found the NF glass to give the image a more yellow hue.

All in all....I think NF is an excellent scope. For the money.....it would serve many lifetimes of flawless service. One really needs to experience the different scopes in the premium class....out in the field. It truly becomes a personal decision based on ones eyes. Some will find NF glass most pleasing....others...Schott glass.

Wayne
Old 04-22-2013, 12:48 AM
Silver Member

The noting that S&B is anything but tack sharp optical perfection is utter nonsense!
S&B doesn't have "bad days". They execute staff members for impure thoughts never mind less that prefect optics. I have shot S&B for 30 years and I can assure you optical perfection every single time.
Zero exceptions.
Schmidt grinds among the finest glass on the planet. Have zero doubt.

Color phase is up for debate and personal taste...sure.
The incredible resolution and optical clarity of Schmidt and Bender is unquestionable.
Nightforce is not even optically close to Schmidt. Only March can match and perhaps better S&B optically.

So why do I have so many Nightforce scopes?
A scope is a sighting device and reliability is all important. While S&B is hardly unreliable Nightforce has a unmatched track record. Though S&B is better Nightforce optics are more than good enough to place the bullet exactly where I want.