Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Is there a difference in a Nightforce and a Schmidt & Bender???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2013, 11:15 AM
Bronze Member

Is there a difference in a Nightforce and a Schmidt & Bender???

I have several NF scopes on some of my long range rifles, used to think they were the best. Now I'm wondering if I'm missing something by not have a US Optics, Schmidt & Bender, Premier, etc.

Is there really a difference?? Are you paying for the name??

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

Jesse
Old 04-16-2013, 01:56 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Is there a difference in a Nightforce and a Schmidt & Bender???

I always heard of Schmidt as top of the line. But the last couple times I've looked through one, you couldn't give it to me.... They were cloudy, and nasty looking. Almost like looking through liquid.

NF is my next goal, is to save up for one of those. I don't own one yet, but have shot several, and you really can't ever recover from shooting one, except to maybe own one. LOL The crispness, clarity, and precision is the best I've found, IMO.

But, this is simply my opinion. I am definitely not a glass expert.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

I own both NF & USO, no Schmidts or Premiers as of yet As far as rugged reliability, they are the peers of the industry, Very,Very solid.

Where those peers starts to separate is in the glass quality IMHO. The Schmidts & Premiers should show a higher clarity & more reslolution than the Nightforce (this may have changed with the introduction of the ATACR & BEAST).

My USO is fairly new to me & I'm still comparing it to my NXS so i'm hesitant to pass judgement before I have the time to spend with them both.

t

Old 04-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
My USO is fairly new to me & I'm still comparing it to my NXS so i'm hesitant to pass judgement before I have the time to spend with them both.
t
I'd like to hear that when judgement when you figure it out.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
I'd like to hear that when judgement when you figure it out.

Not a problem. I can say my initial impression favored the clarity of the USO but I need to get them out together.

t

Old 04-17-2013, 10:16 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrunner2005 View Post
i always heard of schmidt as top of the line. But the last couple times i've looked through one, you couldn't give it to me.... They were cloudy, and nasty looking. Almost like looking through liquid.

Nf is my next goal, is to save up for one of those. I don't own one yet, but have shot several, and you really can't ever recover from shooting one, except to maybe own one. Lol the crispness, clarity, and precision is the best i've found, imo.

But, this is simply my opinion. I am definitely not a glass expert.
you must have looked threw a bad one because there is no better glass in any scope than s&b. I have all but the premier, and many
gies i know will tell you the same thing.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme View Post
you must have looked threw a bad one because there is no better glass in any scope than s&b. I have all but the premier, and many
gies i know will tell you the same thing.
I looked through about 5 of them all sitting at my local store, they were all on closeout special....They were all horrible.

Granted, that was the first time I'd ever looked through a bad one, but they were all horrible. I used to work for an outdoors store, and have looked through and sold more pieces of glass than most folks have ever seen....But that threw me for a loop when I looked through those Schmidt's....Could have been a bad batch, but every one of them were that way. They were all marked down to like $2,800 or something. I was just laughing my ass off, b/c I knew only some yuppie would buy them after looking through them. There was no way anyone who knew what to look for would buy one of them... Swear to God, they were so bad, I've looked through $100 Tasco World Class scopes that were clearer. I've never seen anything like it.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.