Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Testing Sightron III scope on a 338 Snipe-Tac

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2007, 08:07 AM
Gold Member

Testing Sightron III scope on a 338 Snipe-Tac

A member here sent me a 6-24 Sightron III scope to test on one of my Snipe-Tac rifles, he wanted to know if it would hold up to the punishment of the recoil. I mounted it up on a customers rifle i wanted to test. The scope was a fine crosshair with dot. I put it on a 30moa base, this brought the clicks on the scope to almost bottom, i didnt check to see how many MOA it had in the scope. I was curious to see how it tracked and if it would hold zero. It was sighted in at 100yds,dead on. I then moved to a 620yd target, exbal said i needed 7 moa...i clicked it up the required amount, booom, dead center hit. We fired 4 shots at this distance, all hits. Then i moved to the 950yd target, Exbal said 16 moa, so i added the extra clicks, fired and a hit, it was about .5 moa high on the gong. We were shooting uphill, if that makes much difference and it was very windy as well.

The glass in the scope seems to be very clear, i didnt care for the redical but i dont know what else is offered.

I compared it to my IOR 6-24 35mm scope, the IOR was brighter as the tube is a bit bigger, i like the redical in my IOR, i dont have to do any come ups as long as im shooting to 1000yds.

I have several Nightforce scopes mounted on customers rifles, i would say the IOR is a close second to a Nightforce.

Dave

It seemed to hold up to the pounding, although i only shot 18 rounds. I think it would be a option for a mid priced scope.

I give it a thumbs up for a 500.00 scope

Dave

"Let the good times roll"
Old 05-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Gold Member

Re: Testing Sightron III scope on a 338 Snipe-Tac

What didn't you like about the reticle?

Was it too thick, or is it that you don't like crosshairs and dots

I am sorta thinking about one of these scopes.

LRH member #23
Old 05-18-2007, 09:31 AM
Gold Member

Catshooter,

No it was fine, i just like a mil dot type redical. When i adjusted for the come ups it was a nice look. Several guys shot it and they all liked it. Its just a personal preferance.

Dave

"Let the good times roll"
Old 05-18-2007, 09:46 AM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]
Catshooter,

No it was fine, i just like a mil dot type reticle. When I adjusted for the come ups it was a nice look. Several guys shot it and they all liked it. Its just a personal preference.

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

They make that scope with a Mil-dot reticle. It is on the list for a project down the road.

LRH member #23