Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Terrapin at the PO today--for me!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Silver Member

Re: Terrapin at the PO today--for me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HARPERC View Post
I think the last time he posted a bear picture it was on the front porch of a cabin, don't know the size but I bet it looked big coming through the door. LOL. Hopefully, he doesn't have to get so close with this set up. Be safe up there!
Ornery cuss. He was 26 years old with teeth worn below the gums and someone took a pot shot at him in August or early September. Unable to chew, but starving at 396#, he took to raiding cabins for sustenance. His foraging spiral was decreasing exponentially; when I shot him in the cabin he was in the village. At that time there were but 25 persons in Bettles and Evansville; there's less than that today. Sooner or later he'd a bumped into someone and it wouldn't have been pretty so that Thanksgiving day around 30 below at 11:30AM I shot him. He did depart with a growl and I think in bearspeak it was a desperate thank you...

His skull measured out at 24 1/8 making him B&C eligible. The Discovery Channel ran an account of this in Alaska Most Extreme which debuted April 16, 2009. Here's a photo right after the event. The other is Mitts with his skull completed...

he took to raiding cabins and no doubt was in agony with that football sized ankle --the wound.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Terrapin at the PO today--for me!-gruesomes-demise-dataxi.jpg   Terrapin at the PO today--for me!-gruesome-mitts-dtaxi.jpg  

Last edited by alcesgigas; 03-27-2012 at 09:19 PM. Reason: forgot comment
Old 04-03-2012, 02:32 AM
Silver Member

Another attempt this evening around 9:30PM--darn river always has the wrong wind. I got two photos before the camera battery quit--and it was 10 above zero! However, the Terrapin just continues to deliver the range.

I'm trying to surmount two problems: First, the near-impossibility to see the red LED against the snow in bright sunlight, and second camera battery failure. Both camera and Terrapin are contained in a "heated tote" over the snogo's mufflers, but the lithium camera battery goes in minutes; it's fine again once it warms up. I do think that demands on the camera battery, coupled with less shielding against temperature changes compounds the matter. Terra's batteries are lithium c123 (2) and so far they--and the Terrapin--always deliver.

Here's tonight's effort. I did mention this is fun?
Terrapin at the PO today--for me!-4-2-12-terratry-1-small.jpg   Terrapin at the PO today--for me!-4-2-12-terratry-2-small.jpg  

Old 04-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member

Neat story on the bear,and picts. Like the one with the cat
Old 04-06-2012, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

Here's some from April 4; I think I got the thing down. Maybe I'll make an attempt tonight, but I'm down in Fairbanks for the last time until October, it's a holiday weekend and much traffic--scares me!
Terrapin at the PO today--for me!-terratry-4-3-2012-hlrh.jpg   Terrapin at the PO today--for me!-terratry-4-3-2012-blrh.jpg  

Terrapin at the PO today--for me!-terratry-4-3-2012-dlrh.jpg  

Last edited by alcesgigas; 04-06-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: forgot pics!
Old 04-08-2012, 12:34 PM
Silver Member

This entry--and the one following--will probably be my last in this thread. These pics are target-specific, some hard and reflective, others, like treetops, might be classified as semi-reflective at best. In any event the Terrapin has yet to let me down.

With any kind of luck my next--and under new title--thread will include animal targets.
Terrapin at the PO today--for me!-lrh-tpintry1.jpg   Terrapin at the PO today--for me!-lrh-tpintry2.jpg  

Terrapin at the PO today--for me!-lrh-tpintry3.jpg  
Old 04-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Silver Member

Last under this thread and all Fairbanks photos.
Terrapin at the PO today--for me!-lrh-tpintry4.jpg   Terrapin at the PO today--for me!-lrh-tpintry5.jpg  

Terrapin at the PO today--for me!-lrh-tpintry6.jpg  
Old 04-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

I look forward to the new thread, you're definitely getting better.