Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Terrapin in bad weather

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2013, 02:31 PM
Silver Member

Terrapin in bad weather

I ranged my buddy from a shooting position on a mountain top from 950ish to 1030yds ( as he walked around resetting wobbly steel tipped by a 50 BMG). The big surprise was that the Terripin was able to pierce the light cloud cover! FWIW an old Leica 900 and a new Swarovski couldn't range a rock face only 600yds away thru the same soup.....God Lord I love this Vectronix unit!

I know thick fog will stop any LRF, but I am curious as to others review reports with the Terrapin in bad weather.

Cheers
Old 04-27-2013, 08:36 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Terrapin in bad weather

I have ranged in moderate snow as far as I could see which was 800 yards with the Terripins big brother, the PLRF10. A few might come back with readings of 60 or 80 yards as it reflected off large snow flakes, but the reliability was good enough to take game. Ranged a bull elk last year in fog that was so thick the elk would disappear at times. He was at 200 yards. We killed him with a single lowly Berger, so this may not count...

Jeff
Old 04-27-2013, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Terrapin in bad weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I have ranged in moderate snow as far as I could see which was 800 yards with the Terripins big brother, the PLRF10. A few might come back with readings of 60 or 80 yards as it reflected off large snow flakes, but the reliability was good enough to take game. Ranged a bull elk last year in fog that was so thick the elk would disappear at times. He was at 200 yards. We killed him with a single lowly Berger, so this may not count...

Jeff
Thats funny Broz dialing down for a shot.