Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Technical mil /reticle ranging ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2005, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Technical mil /reticle ranging ?

Actually, i've been working with the formula for quite awhile, and started to realize that it could be used for any reticle out there with at least 2 stadia, i.e. simple plex, ballistic reticle, and/or custom reticles. All u have to do is measure the stadia subtension at any range in ", MOA, mm, whatever, and substitute the mil reticle subtension part of the equation (inches-yards 1000/36)with the reticle you're using. In fact, i've actually started calling it the stadia-relation/ranging formula since the formula really isn't milliradian-specific at all. It's great for the plex/ballistic reticles in that each stadia provides it's own relative refernce mark. Simple plex would make the center x-hair 50% or .5 if using the entire post to post gap. Rifle Ballistic Plex would be .7 to 3rd mark, .4 to 2nd mark if using the entire 11.06" 100 yard gap (x-hair to lower post).