Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

TDS & B&C reticle drop values?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2006, 11:17 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: TDS & B&C reticle drop values?

[ QUOTE ]
Just be sure to go to max power for the scope, or your stadia is "off". Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

The scopes that feature the TDS reticle have 2 differant triangles (points of referance) for differant hold over values. One setting works well with standard calibers and the other with magnum calibers.

The program allows you to select between them and see which one works best for your load. The values and how they relate to your drops are changed instantly upon changing between small and large.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member

Not precise but your only talking under 600yards and should get you there.
Just get as large a target as you can find marked off in inches or just take a yardstick and put it @ 100yards.Look at the target through the scope set at whatever magnification you are going to hunt at 100 yards.Then just read off the inches and if you want you can convert to MOA but your going to be real close anyway.
You can also adjust the magnification to suit your round a little better,just put a calibration mark on the scope and always dial all the way up and then down to your calibration mark.
It goes without saying that this is not exact but will get you on paper to 500yards with relative ease.Field adjustments will need to be made and likewise anytime conditions change you'll have to check for needed adjustments.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:37 PM
Silver Member

Goodgrouper, do you have a sylabus, books, materials, lists, etc. that I could purchase from you so that I can figure out what I'm doing. What is the deal about your seminars also. Could you send me some info? I'm eager to learn. Thanks.
Paul
Old 12-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Gold Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That´s why a FFP reticle makes sense to me [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2006, 02:56 PM
Silver Member

alg,
Does the MOA value for each line on the reticle represent that much drop from the zero point? For instance if I were to zero my rifle for 375 yards, I would assume one MOA drop would be at 475. I would then figure that a 1.91 MOA drop would correspond to hitting dead on at approx 565 yards. Is all this correct? How do I figure out what each MOA value there is for the inch drop shown on my Infinity ballistic print out for any given load? Thanks for the help.
Paul
Old 12-15-2006, 03:03 PM
Silver Member

What is an FFP reticle? As a new member in this forum, I'm not familiar with all the letter abreviations that you guys use. Is there a list of these abrevs?
Old 12-15-2006, 05:35 PM
Gold Member

Paul:
FFP is a front focal plane reticle; its size increases or decreases as you increase or decrease the power setting of your scope. If I am not mistaken Goodgrouper was referring to people encountering problems when, being used to use the reticle for holdover at a certain magnification ( as is necessary in second plane reticles, whose size does not change), they could not use the magnification needed for the reticle. A FFP reticle will change its size but the holdover values for the different stadia remain constant.

As for yor question on the TDS reticle, if you aim at your target using any of the lines below the main crosshair you are aplying an elevation of xx MOA . I am not familiar with the INfinity program but for shooting LR you want a ballistics chart that tells you, among other things, how much elevation you´ll need to hit your target at xx distance, i.e.4 MOA at xx yds. SO to provide this elevation you can either use your scope elevation knob or use the reticle and hold for the 4 MOA you need. The problem with the TDS is that it does not use straight numbers, i.e. 2, 4, 6..moa.

In a FFP reticle, the stadia work well at any magnification; in a second focal plane, they only work well at one specific magnification.