Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

TDS & B&C reticle drop values?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2006, 07:17 PM
Silver Member

TDS & B&C reticle drop values?

As a new (ignorant) long ranger I'm trying to figure out how to apply the strata marks on the Leupold B&C reticle as well as the TDS in the Kahles and Swarovski scopes to my ballistics in several rifles. I like to zero for a maximum point blank range for the critter I'm hunting, elk and deer mostly. I shoot fast, high BC bullets. I use my Infinity program to get me in the correct ballistic ballpark. After field confirmation on my bullet's actual flight, how do I figure what each strata mark represents in actual bullet strike for any given enviromental condition, without fire testing by trial and error? I don't want to burn-up my barrel or any more $ than I have to. I talked to the tech reps at both companies and they don't have a clue as to what I'm asking. I hope you guys do understand what I'm getting at. (Great grammer!) I would appreciate any suggestions and help. Thanks.
Paul
Old 12-14-2006, 08:28 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: TDS & B&C reticle drop values?

You let your fingers do the testing.

This is a program that enables you to enter various BC's, velocities and air density, then based on your ballistics, shows you how to utilize your scope. You can compare differant reticles to see which ones work best for your loads.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

Forget the TDS and the B&amp;C reticles if you plan to shoot past 600 yards. Trust me, they will let you down sooner or later. I guarantee you that they can't adapt to all the variables in exterior ballistics in hunting situations. Many guys have learned this in my shooting seminars the hard way. You throw angles, new elevations, new temps, or bad mirage at them so they can't use the magnification they need to to match the impact line and <font color="red"> they are screwed! </font>

The only way to do it exactly (and in this sport, we must be exact as we can) is to figure out how much the value of your turrets move and DIAL your scope up based off of real time ballistic coefficient testing and inputing correct data into a ballistic program so it produces a chart customized to your scope and trajectory. This of course requires many gadgets and gizmos like computers, chronographs, inclinometers, levels, thermometers, wind gauges, altimeters, and so on.

If only it were as easy as these companies make it seem. Just buy a scope, mount it up, go test the lines a time or two, and then GO HUNTING!? Marketing and hype make money, not sense.

Nope. Good things are never that easy. Precision does not come from a reticle alone. There are way more things that go into it.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:33 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

[ QUOTE ]
if you plan to shoot past 600 yards.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the key right there. Often times though, for 0-600 yards a reticle alone can be of great value. The reason 600 yards is so paramount is because you can change alot of variables and still hit a kill zone of a deer at 600 yards. After that, gravity and time just win out, thus the need for the gadgets and ballistic calculator in conjunction with turret adjustments from 600 yards on.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:25 AM
Gold Member

I agree. Most hunting is still done under 600 yds unless you are setting up for a true "longe range" shot. Then you need the extra equipment(rest, wind meter, small computer, etc.). Once you sight in for a MPBR, shoot to different ranges and you will be good out to 600 yds. Just be sure to go to max power for the scope, or your stadia is "off". Good luck.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Gold Member

After some searching, i found this info on the TDS reticle lines, meaning the elevation they provide for holdover use:

1:1,91 moa
2:4,58 moa
3:7,16 moa
4:10,02 moa

So if your ballistic program tells you you need 4,58 moa of elevation, go to the second line [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You can convert these to milliradians by dividing by 3,4.

Those are pretty strange numbers, I guess the idea behind the TDS is to give some kind of "valid for all calibers" holdover reticle based on the charts they provide with the scope.

Apart from that, there are other reticles better suited for holdover as the values are more straight forward.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:03 AM
Platinum Member

Swarovski has the TDS ballistic calculator. HERE

If you need a Swaro registration number email me and I'll get you one.