Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Tasco optics - good/bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2002, 06:33 PM

Tasco optics - good/bad?

Hi Goodfellas!
Just looked through the tasco website. What do you think of their riflescopes?
How are they compared to Leupold?
Stay safe
OneSot
[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 04-28-2002, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

Re: Tasco optics - good/bad?

Oneshot-
I have had several and can say that they don't compare to a Leupold in any way. As most of my shooting is long distance, I use a drop chart and scopes with external knobs to adjust for each shot. The Taco's I have had do not track at all. They just aren't repeatable and for long range shooting, that's not acceptable. Having said that, for a typical, carrying hunting rifle, I don't see a problem with them. The clarity isn't bad and the price is certainly right. It all depends on what you want to do with one.
Old 04-28-2002, 07:51 PM
Silver Member

I may have just gotten really lucky, but I have their 8-32x50 World Class Plus on my Rem 700VSSF 22-250 and it tracks very well.

I placed a target at 100 yards and shot one shot at center. I then adjusted up 4 MOA and fired one shot. I adjusted right 4 MOA and fired another. I repeated this until I had walked around the paper three times with groups in each corner and the middle of each side (8 groups total). Each group ran from 5/8 to 1" across. Without making adjustments I was getting about 1/2 to 3/4" groups. I felt that this was very acceptable and I won't complain. So far the rifle/scope combination have just over 1200 rounds through them and they shoot better than I can. I cant say how well they will hold up with the big boomers that reach way out there, but for the pop-guns like mine it has done well.

Rick

[ 04-28-2002: Message edited by: RBrowning ]
Old 04-30-2002, 10:17 AM
Writers Guild

Big thing to look for in Tascos is Made in Japan. There are only a few good lens and scope assemblers offshore and most are Japanese. The Japanese Tascos that I have had tracked well and for the money, very good optics. Are they as good as B&L, Zeiss, etc. NOPE but for 1/4 to 1/2 the price not bad. Leupolds have great adjustments but I have never been particularly impressed with their optics. Remember that we all see differently and I wear glasses.

I have just started using the Tasco SS 10X42 scope on my long range rigs. The scope optics are very good and adj. repeatable. Lots of elev./windage too (120 MOA!!!). Was designed for a Marine contract so apparently can take the abuse of 50cal etc. Good writeups on SWFA.

Don't bother with the 20X. Mine has horrid optics and I have talked to others that share the same dispair. Apparently the 16X is good.

The World class plus and EXP's are supposed to have very acceptable optics as well.

The best buy for my money has been my B&L Elite 4000 scopes in 2.5X10 and 6X24. I have looked through many different brands and for my eyes the Elites offer the highest degree of resolution and clarity. They are not blessed with lots of elevation adjustment but that can be solved with Burris Rings or tapered bases. Adjustments are accurate and repeatable.

Good luck...

Jerry
Old 04-30-2002, 12:24 PM
Bronze Member

I have two of the SS10x40 and one SS16x40 and they all work great! I compared the Super Sniper side by side with a Leupold 6.5x20 and I liked the Tasco better.

The rest of the Tasco line is low end stuff that doesn't compare to Leupold etc. However the Super Sniper scopes are probably the best buy around.

Peter Cronhelm
Old 04-30-2002, 04:04 PM
Silver Member

The tasco snipers are one of the best buys for the money. They are made in Japan. The optics are as good as or better then any of the scopes until you get into the $800+ range. They do have a lifetime warranty. My only dislike is that the turrets are a little mushy from the factory. But it's easily fixed by replacing the 0-rings under the knobs with a smaller diameter ring. They do hold up very well. I'm talking about the rear focus model. The side focus model costs $100 more and isn't as reliable. I've found some good deals on www.auctionarms.com and www.gunbroker.com for tasco sniper scopes.
I've also used the custom shop 8-40x56 scope. It has a lot of features for the money. The optics are good, but get darker as you move up in power. For a high power variable I really like the Burris signature series, but these are $500 scopes.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:15 PM

I have heard good things about this place although I havent purchased from them, yet. I will be getting one of the Tascos soon though..... http://www.swfa.com/riflescopes/tasco/