Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Target knobs for Leupold 4.5 x 14 Vari-X III

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2005, 11:52 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Target knobs for Leupold 4.5 x 14 Vari-X III

www.premierreticles.com

JB
Old 10-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

jmden

Know how you feel. Some days it is all I can do to remember my name.

My Stoney Points fit my Luepold 3.5X10 VIII that is about 10 years old. Four clicks per mark. Cannot guarantee that they would do that for you.

I have some very, very old Kentons that do not line up with the clicks of the scope they are on. You are right. It is a complexity that is better avoided.

If you get desperate go get a set of knobs and then hire Brown Dog or 4ked Horn to build you a covers for your knobs that does line up with your clicks.

You can see them
here
Old 10-04-2005, 12:49 PM
Gold Member

jmden,
Leupold CAN make knobs to correspond to certain loads for your rifle. But the reg Target knobs are just the plain knobs. That is what they install for the above prices. I would say get the reg Target knobs so you have the flexibility your looking for. I wouldn't use the Stoney points either. If you have more questions i'd highly reccomend calling either Leupold or Premier reticles and they explain everything well.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member

I called and talked to a Leupold tech. and he said that they do not make target knobs (BDC or otherwise) that will fit my standard (no target knobs) scope. That seems to contradict the custom shop description which says:

Adjustment Dial Changes--
Adding target-style adjustment knobs to your scope is just one example of the adjustment dial options you have from the Leupold Custom Shop. We can install the dials of your choice in almost any Leupold scope (the LPS models being the only exception). We can even change the dials of the VX-III Long Range M3 to those of the VX-III Long Range M1. You can have the elevation dial alone changed, or change both. The combinations are many, and the choice is all yours. Contact the Custom Shop for more information.

Hmm....

Kenton Industries can make a knob for me that would give me a mark for each click of the scope adjustment that fits on the Stoney Point knobs. The top knob portion of the Stoney Point knob is taken off and then the Kenton Ind. knob is put on. This would give me what I want, but it's about $70 for the Stoney Point knobs shipped and $110 for the Kenton Industry adapter knobs--that's getting a bit steep.

What is it that folks don't appreciate about the Stoney Point knobs? Buffalobob, are they working OK for you?

Thanks,

jmden

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-04-2005, 06:48 PM
Platinum Member

JMDEN
I went and got my gun out and clicked the dials to make sure everything is the way I think it is.

Here are the facts

Leupold 3.5X10 VarX III AO bought new about 1985 (older than I remembered). The stoney point knobs have main marking that are exactly the same as the four clicks per inch of the scope. I bought the knobs this spring from Cabelas.

To get from 100 yds to 1000yds - which I have done with it- you you spin more than one revolution so it is important to spin back to 100yds after you are done or you can just spin to the top or bottom and then spin to 100 yds zero if you forget where you left it set.

It is not waterproof. It will resonably keep a drizzle out of it but if the gun got dunked in a beaver pond (again!) I would believe some small amount of water could get in to the dial.

If you will send me an email then I will send you the dial pasties that Brown Dog and 4ked horn sent me. I don't think they will mind. You can study them and then make you a set of your own that fit your needs if you are good at that sort of thing.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

ummm,

[ QUOTE ]
www.premierreticles.com

JB

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-04-2005, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member

jb100br,

Are you specifically wanting me to look at this page about the Target Turrets

http://www.premierreticles.com/index...704&main=1

or are you saying I should have a Premier Reticle installed?

jmden

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl