Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Target knobs for Leupold 4.5 x 14 Vari-X III

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2005, 10:54 PM
Platinum Member

Target knobs for Leupold 4.5 x 14 Vari-X III

Can I put target knobs on this thing? It doesn't have any right now.

Any idea of manufacturers/features if it can be done?

Are these things watertight?

I've seen the Stoney Point knobs, but in doing a search here, I saw a negative comment or two

Thanks.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-03-2005, 06:56 AM
Silver Member

Re: Target knobs for Leupold 4.5 x 14 Vari-X III

Send it to Leupold, they will install them for you. I think they run about $60 for one or around $100 for elev. and wind. Although the wind. knob isn't really as crucial as the elev., so you might want to consider just the elev. knob unless you are gonna be shooting out past 7-800 yds. I think Premier Reticles may also install them but I'm not sure about their cost. Hope this helps.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

I put the stoney points on my 3.5X10 Var III. It helps to read the intructions first, not last. A small washer has to come out before you install them.

There is a little allen screw that I did not get tightened up fully and I didn't have the correct wrench with me at the rifle range when it loosened up, but I do not consider that to be any real problem with anything other than me. The divisions on the dial match up pretty well to the scope. If they were to malfunction in the field you would just unscrew them and use the original adjustment dial. Takes about 15 seconds to get them off.

I would recommend them.
Old 10-03-2005, 01:09 PM

Yes, Leupold Custom Shop can do it.
Yes, They are watertight.
Custom Shop Link
Old 10-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Platinum Member

Get it done. You will like them a lot better if you want to do any dialing. I have one that was done earlier this year. Left my house and was done and back in 4 days.

Also take a look at the item below from Brownell's. It a replacement set of torx screws with screwdriver to replace the allen sets that come from Leupold. The stock sets will strip out and the allens won't turn them. These replacements with torx work great and I've had absolutely no problem zeroing the turrets and they stay tight.

100-000-327 KMW #874 TURRET-LOC & SCREWS
Old 10-04-2005, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

Hi, thanks for the help ss7mm, rumshooter, JustMe and buffalobob.

I'm not sure that I understand the target knob concept fully. Maybe you guys can set me staight.

I checked out the custom shop at Leupold and it looks to me that the target knobs they install are custom set to your particular bullet and load (BC, MV)--a bullet drop compensator which seems very specific to your load. I guess I'm a little leary going that way because if I wanted to change something about my load, the knobs wouldn't work anymore. Am I right?

I think I want some knobs that work off MOA with my 1 click = 1/4 min. scope adjustments. This seems like it would allow my to use my Sierra ballistics program to compensate for drop and windage with much more flexibility in terms of possibly changing loads. Is this correct?

Do the Stoney Point knobs work off of MOA?

Thanks for the help.

jmden

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-04-2005, 11:37 AM
Platinum Member

Well, I called Stoney Point and their knobs don't work the way I'd like. Their knobs basically just have a scale etched on the side and the number of clicks you rotate may or may not match up with a number or etching on the target knob. You have to work up a cheat sheet of clicks vs. the scale on the target knob according to the guy I talked to. They are made to be very generic to fit several different scope manufactures apparently. This could work, but it adds another layer of computations which I don't want to do.

All I want is a target knob that's made for my scope (Vari-X III 4.5-14--about 2 years old) that registers one mark per click (1 click = 1/4 min.). I'm in the process of talking to Kenton Industries about what they offer.

Any ideas?

jmden