Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Target Dot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

Target Dot

Guys I just want to know if I messed up? I just baught a brand new Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x50LR with target dot reticle direct from Leupold. I have never had a target dot before. How good are these reticles for Long Range Hunitng or Shooting, or did I just screw the pooch? I originally wanted the Fine Duplex but they told me that was a 6-8 month backorder because they had oversold their yearly estimate by several million units.

I cant even get Mark4 rings because the government has some contract for all of those for the next several months, and those things have gone though the roof since then. I used to get the Mark4 rings and bases together for $90 direct from leupold and that was the steel, now they want 100 just for the rings, I looked at them on-line the other nite cheapest I found was over $220 for rings
Old 04-11-2012, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Target Dot

Since you have it just shoot it and see how you like it,will work fine for most applications.In Sinclair, or swfa, or I bet Midway Mark 4 rings are $150, for $10 more get NF LIGHT W/tit. cross bolt. If you like clean lines and no 1/2 nut on base get the Seekin,sold on this site,one of my favs.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:17 AM
Platinum Member

Theory with the target dot is that you can center the ten ring quickly. The dot draws your eye toward the scope centerline. For your application I prefer the fine crosswire. It makes holding off for windage a bit easier.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

Can you send it back and get your money back too? There are a lot of scopes out there that would have been a better choice. How much did it set you back or what would be your budget? I guess you want it for long range hunting & shooting?

joseph

PS: I've done the same thing you just did until I found out what would work the best for me within my budget.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:25 AM
Silver Member

Depends on your intensions. I have a Tascorama w/ Dot and like it for good light shooting/ prairie dogs etc.. Since , there has been so many better ones. I had my Leopold from fine duplex to TMR and Elevation knob & love it.
Old 04-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Silver Member

I didnt pay retail for it from leupold. I just havent tried many other scopes besides leupold so Im just not comfrotable spending cash on other scopes I know nothing about. I cant bring my self to spend the $$$$$$$$$ on nightforce yet but would love to have one.

Second Im not a very patient person so I cant wait 6-8 months for the fine duplex because my rifle will be ready before then.

I hear good things about Vortex but dont know anybody personally that has one that I could try, so Ill just keep this one and see how I like it. Whats the worst that could happen I can put it up for sale and get my cash back.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Bronze Member

Send it back and have reticule changed at custom shop.