Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Talley lightweights or Rail????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 10:28 PM
Silver Member

Talley lightweights or Rail????

I have a 25-06 sendero and am planning on putting a 6.5-20 vx3 lr atop of it shortly. I would like to keep this as light as possible. This gun will mainly be a varmint rifle and max shots of 600 yards so a 20moa base wont be necessary. I guess my main concern is how will the talleys hold up compared to say an egw base and burris tactical rings? Ive used the talleys in the past and never had a problem but would like some opinions.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:53 PM
Silver Member

Re: Talley lightweights or Rail????

I would use the talley's on all my rifles, they are great. However, I hold my cheek back on the stock so the ability to move the scope farther back is a big deal to me. I like the idea of the talley's and "less parts" so to speak. I lap them up real good.

Another thing to consider is if you'll be using an ani-can't indicator. With the talley's it'll have to be a scope mounted level. If you use a rail you can utilize a rail mounted level which can be had quite a bit cheaper. If you do use a rail I'd look towards 7075 if you get AL
JUST MY .02
Old 02-09-2014, 08:10 AM
Silver Member

Thanks iclimb! I also want to send the scope back for a m1 elevation turret as well so the money i save with the talleys will almost pay for the cost of the turret as well.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Bronze Member

I would go with the Talley light weights but as Iclimb said, lap them real good. I have a set on a Remington long action with a SS 3-9x42 and I had plenty of room to get optimal eye relief.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:48 PM
Gold Member

+1 on the lapping.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:35 PM
Gold Member

I've used both and Love the Talley lightweight mount system when "keeping it light" matters.

Talley lightweight ring/bases need to be lapped! I have found them to be far from aligned, whether I was using the 1-piece or 2-piece sets. Lap the bottoms. (Top of ring doesn't need lapping as it will self-align.)

Only time I've has a Talley lightweight set fail was on a LIGHT .300 Weatherby with a HEAVY scope. I broke two screws on recoil. With your Sendero, the recoil will be negligible so this won't be a concern.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:42 PM
Gold Member

A 25-06 is a perfect deer rifle for S.E.PA so don't limit this to woodchucks. It may be heavier than you would choose for a 'cary rifle" and a 6.5-20 may be a lot of scope for walking the hardwoods, but in a stand or at the edge of a field, this would be a GREAT deer rifle!