Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Tacticle scope-rangefinder help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2004, 02:01 AM
Silver Member

Tacticle scope-rangefinder help

Hi all

Just found this forum and really nice to be here.
I just purchased an IOR 4x14-50 Tacticle Illum.with the MP8 reticle and wanted to know if it would be a wast of money to get as well a Rangefinder binocular. I haven't recieved my scope yet. It's in the mail.
Also I noticed that their were lazer rangefinders and non lazer. What is the differrance, benifit between the two.
example: IOR Rangefinder and Bushnell Yardage ProŽ Quest.
Old 12-26-2004, 01:36 PM

Re: Tacticle scope-rangefinder help

ehh, tough one here. buy your self a leica 900 or 1200 LRF scan and dont look back. if ya ever want to sell it for any reason youll get more resale value from her. even if ya dont think ya use it, its worth saying you got one!
Old 12-26-2004, 04:46 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
ehh, tough one here. buy your self a leica 900 or 1200 LRF scan and dont look back. if ya ever want to sell it for any reason youll get more resale value from her. even if ya dont think ya use it, its worth saying you got one!

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Jordan
That's a lot of money to spend just to say I have it and maybe not use it. I don't mind the expense if the MP8 reticle can't do the job.
As mentioned above can you or anybody tell me the real application differance between lazer and grid rangefinders?
Old 12-26-2004, 05:43 PM
Silver Member

Andre,

Here's how I see it. I have an IOR 10X tactical with the MP-8 reticle. I was trained using mil-dots and have many years of practice using them and I am very good with them.

Mil-dots are simple to use, but it takes many hours of practice just to get average with them. I'm not trying to discourage you, just stating the facts. Most folks can break them down into 1/2 and 1/4 increments which is average. To be really good, you need to be able to break them down into 1/8 and 1/10th increments.

Now the MP-8 reticle helps with this process over the standard Mil-dot or even the 2nd gen mil-dot IMHO.

Next you need to know your target size and understand the formula used for ranging which is pretty simple and straight forward. The formula can used for yards or meters.

Your going to need to spend an extra $29.95 for a mil-dot master which is a must unless you're going to bring a calculator.

I can use mil-dots if I have to, but like most here I cheat. I use a Leica 1200 LRF 98% of the time. If my batteries crap out then I use the MP-8 reticle.

My advice purchase a Leica 1200 LRF. But, learn to use the MP-8 reticle. It's a lot of fun learning the ins and outs with it. This way if your Leica craps outs you can still range using your MP-8 reticle.

If you need the mil-dot formula, send me an email.

Best of luck and Happy Holidays to you.

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 12-26-2004, 07:13 PM
Silver Member

Hi Jeff
Thanks for your input.
Here is a bit of my experience so far. For the last 14 years I have used a Leopold VX-III 2.5x8-36 shooting at 300-500- yards no problem, just using my eyes for distance calculation. Caribou and fox were pretty small at those distances though in my scope, but always got our target. I decided I wanted now after all this time to get a little more comfort, which is why I am here now and went and purchased the IOR 4x14-50 Tact. Illum. So I figured that it should improve or help me a lot better compared to what I have been used to.
But now with a few more discoveries, I don't know if it would be overkill to go rangefinder because of my past experiance. Even with this I have discovered to kinds of range finders. The lazer and mildot recticle binoculars. So how do these two compare with each other I still have to do some research and will call the manufactures for more detail. I would like to add a binocular rangefinder just to have one for fun, but think it would be wiser to try out my new scope and get experiance with it first if I can resist.

Here are the rangefinders that I have found so far of interest:
http://www.newcon-optik.com/lrb7x40.shtml
http://www.bushnell.com/products/ran...s/20-0836.html
http://www.steiner-binoculars.com/bi...s/law/481.html
http://www.valdada.com/vn/ior/01d

Here are two completly differant methods.

Please anyone give me comments, comparisons etc. on these along with your input regarding my above experiance to my present situation.

Thanks

Merry Xmas
Old 12-26-2004, 09:16 PM
Sponsor

Andre,
You may not be interested in ranges past 500-600 at this point in your long range hunting career, but not having a lazer range finder will only limit yourself at sometime. Grid reticules, mil-dots, etc are fast and work well for some holdovers. To learn to use your caliberated reticule the best, you should have a lazer to confirm your estimations anyway. I think that if you have the lazer you will find that with accurate range estimation you will greatly extend your distance. The problem I have found with mil-dots or cross hair caliberated reticules is when you need hold over for both windage and elevation. This condition will put your aiming point out in the "clear glass" with a difficult holding point. I much prefer to lazer, dial the elevation and hold the windage. If you get a lazer, get a good one. I had a newcon that shifted its point of aim and gave inaccurate readings, that is worse than not having one. I shelled out the big bucks for a Swarovski and could not be happier. For the distances you have mentioned there are many LRF's that will fill the bill at much less cost.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 12-26-2004, 09:40 PM
Silver Member

From what I am seeing here it gives me the impression that I should have maybe gone for a simple Hunting scope with a lazer rangefinder than get a tacticle scope. Am I right or wrong?