Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Tactical Scope Mounts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2001, 06:56 AM

Re: Tactical Scope Mounts

I just noticed that my answer didn't get posted. (I probably did something stupid). On stresses, what I am referring too is the heating and cooling (uneven in the action between front and back due to proximity of the chamber.) The scope tube goes through some of this in spite of anything but the more rigid rings (in my mind) tend to warp the scope tube (not permanently) inside. This is probably not even measurable due to the fact that other changes (wind etc) are so much more of a factor. Don't anyone take this for some kind of scientific gospel, it's just something I conjured up.

Old 05-16-2001, 07:00 AM

Lemme say one more thing, nothing here should be construded to mean there are no difference between mounts. Some aren't worth the time it takes to bolt them on. Others are efficient and don't cost a lot. You can't hurt by putting on good (and expensive) mounts if you see to the stresses on those that have the strength to bend things unless lapped.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:19 PM
Bronze Member

Badgerord,

Does Badger have a website?

I am about to put a Near base on my 300WSM and they recomended your scope rings.
I can't find you on a web search and had a couple of questions.

Opps, badgerord.com seems to work.

[ 12-05-2003: Message edited by: Swamp Fox ]
Old 12-06-2003, 08:17 AM
Silver Member

Here you go, hope it helps

When you're ready to buy them, give
Jim Maloney a call and he'll take very good care of you.

jimkim@ott.net
(785) 937-2818

http://www.badgerordnance.com/
[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ 12-06-2003: Message edited by: Jeff In TX ]

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 12-06-2003, 06:58 PM
Silver Member

I've got Badger rings, bases, floorplates, and knobs on both my 700s, the long action has their lug as well. I think their products are among the best available. The rings are made in matched serialized sets, and used in conjunction with a BadgerOrd base require no lapping, and fit perfectly. Any potential stress from misaligned receiver holes would be apparent between the base and receiver, but not into the rings/scope.

MM

[ 12-06-2003: Message edited by: MontanaMarine ]
Old 12-06-2003, 08:07 PM

I ordered another set of Badger rings from Marty yesterday for my 5.5-22x56 NXS on my Tommy...They are the best insurance out there for my scope mounting money. I have at least six sets, from my full blown tactical rifles to my mountain rifle stocked .300 Win Mag. I have a few of his bases, too and they ain't bad, either.
Whether you get them for the cool factor or the strength, you can't go wrong...
Old 12-06-2003, 11:06 PM
Bronze Member

I have two custom Rem. 700's with Ken Farrell tapered bases. One has Badger rings and the other has TSR tactical aluminum rings. The Badgers are awsome! The TSRs are of high quality but when you try to remove them from the base they become slightly formed to the base and will not come off without "excessive" persuasion. As time and funds allow I will be upgrading to steel rings. I used to use Burris signature Zee rings but the cross bolts are pathetically lousy. If the screwdriver head does not round off the puny fine threads will strip. If I'm going to waste $50 bucks on rings it will be to buy "overkill" Badgers. I also am planning on some Badger tactical bolt mod's. Rem. bolt handles don't leave much manuevering room when a low mounted NXS scope is used.