Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Tactical or Hunting Scope?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2008, 05:28 PM

Tactical or Hunting Scope?

I'm in the market for a new rifle and scope setup and am currently looking at a Remington LTR in .308 with either a hunting or tactical scope. I would use the rifle for hunting and target plinking to about 800 yards.

I believe I would like to get a tactical scope for the ease of adjustment for long range plinking but I am unsure about using one for hunting.

Forgive me if this sounds stupid but I don't know much about tactical scopes. Specifically I would like to know:

1. Do the tactical scope knobs tend to get dirty/gummed up after some use due to there being no caps over them for protection?

2. How easily would the knobs move? Meaning, while walking though thick cover am I likely to bump them and then my zero is out of alignment?

3. Any other pro's and con's of using a tactical scope for hunting would be appreciated.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

1- I use the Nightforce NXS and I have no problem at all and I hunt with mine both for long range as well as in the woods. I also used this set up on a pack in by horse back hunting trip in Montana a few years ago.

2-I have never ever had one of the NXS knobs turn by accident.

3- A quality tactical scope is as close to bullet proof as an optic can be IMHO

3.5X15X50 on my 300 win

5.5X22X50 on my 338 Lapua

Last edited by jwp475; 06-26-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:26 PM
Silver Member

Tactical

Tactical scopes are designed to work in the harshest conditions. I am assuming we are talking quality optics..The cheap tactical stuff is a waste of money just like cheep hunting scopes.

For longrange work the tactical knobs are the only way to go. You can get away with "Target Knobs" that are under caps, but the easy of use with the exposed knobs is better.

I pack my gun in a Elberlystock (spelling) and the knobs get bounced around and have not moved. Also if they did it would be easily fixed just by looking.

Quality /scopes knobs will not let you down. they will not get gummed up.

There are so many pros to list..I would knot have a longrange gun without them.

The only con is usually weight. They are built like a brick sh** house and they are heavy.

Willys46
Old 06-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Bronze Member

I had the same problem a couple years ago when I was debating whether or not to get a tactical scope. I did, and I now put one on every rifle I get. Never had any problems with turrets turning. If you still unsure about the turrets moving, you can find some models that have turret covers. Go tactical...you won't regret it.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:56 PM

Myself personally would go with a tactical scope mainly for the easy adjustments. To me at least thats the most important advantage is being able to quickly dial up or dial down to different ranges I currently have a Bushnell 3200 Elite 10x42 with the tac knobs, and have never had a problem with the turrets coming loose while shooting. its on my Remington SPS Varmint .308 and it shoots excellent. the scope its self was only $185 yet it performs beautifully, at least for what I use it for

Last edited by Remmy700p308; 06-30-2008 at 09:57 PM. Reason: revision
Old 07-01-2008, 05:36 AM
Silver Member

In reality, "tactical" is just a label. This references scopes that have external knobs, extra reticle travel and all the "gee whiz" features that most hunting scopes do not. All things being equal: tactical scopes have more capability and are a more suitable choice in many situations as any hunting scope.

Scott