Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Swarovski vs. Zeiss, HELP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varberger757 View Post
...The Conquest has a 1- inch tube, the Z5 30mm, so it's no wonder that the light - transmission in the Swarovski is much better. ...
Actually, Z5 scopes have a 1" tube, and tube size has no effect on light transmission.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 10-24-2013, 05:47 PM

Re: Swarovski vs. Zeiss, HELP

Thanks for all the good comments

Regards Wille
Old 10-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveonhunt View Post
Thanks for your shared information. I prefer Swarovski over Zeiss Scope. Swarovski scope has great demand among the customers and has gained immense popularity among hunting world. It is useful in any extreme conditions, whether shooting in low-light environments and hilly areas. Swarovski scope always exceeds customer’s expectation. If you looking for right binocular, then go through EuroOptic online store and know more about between Swarovski and Zeiss.
Sounds like an advertisement to me??
Old 10-25-2013, 05:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
Actually, Z5 scopes have a 1" tube, and tube size has no effect on light transmission.
X2 It is a common misconception, size of tube has absolutely nothing to do with how much light can get through a tube. if you have ever seen a diagram of light passing through a scope, you see that the light from the lens actually posses through a single point between lenses. that point is infinitely small.... tube size has to do with structural integrity and most significantly bigger tubes give you more windage and elevation.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:12 PM

Ballistic Turret questions
I´m about to buy a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18 x 44 BT 4W scope for a 300 Win. Mag. hunting rifle and would appreciate your comments on what BT ring to get. The Z5 has an limit of 54 MOA on the BT turret´s elevation which is not bad for a hunting scope as far as I want reach out.
Will use factory ammo since I can´t get powder to make my own and what powder I have is saved to load my 270 Win that I use locally on Deer. The ammo to use is Federal Trophy Bonded Tip 180 grain bullet on the 300 WM and looking to buy a BT ring from Outdoorsman’s for the Z5 scope.
What BT ring should I order, as it must match several requirements like: caliber, scope height, bullet, muzzle velocity, ballistic coefficient, ALTITUDE and temperature and here is where I´m stuck !!!
These two constraints that I need help on are Altitude and Temperature. Hunting situations take you to different setups and the altitude or elevation above sea level is the most important. Can´t order BT rings for every altitude because this would not be economical so a compromise must be assumed since I would like to reach out somewhere around 650 yards max.
Should I get a Custom turret mark in yards or one with MOA ???
Appreciate your comments, thanks
Wille
Old 10-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Over what range of altitudes do you plan to hunt?

Be aware that the Z5 BT turret only has 10.5 IPHY of range (nearly one revolution). You probably know that, but the other readers may not. You might get out to 650 yds at high elevation (>8,000 ft) with a 200 yd zero. At lower elevations, 550 yds is more likely.

Frankly, I would pass on the custom turret and just use the stock BT over that range. The custom turrets are more useful for the Z6 scopes that have a larger BT adjustment range.

Getting back to your question, I ran a few calculations for your caliber. The POI only changes 5 inches at 600 yds range for a 4,000 ft altitude difference, combined with a 32 F temp difference. Split the difference between your high and low conditions and you should be OK.

An error in muzzle velocity and ballistic coefficient can cause a bigger POI shift than the error due to altitude/temp. If it were me, I would measure bullet drop at 500-600 yds for that ammo in my gun before ordering a custom turret. I would order the turret scale in yds and IPHY to match the turret clicks. If you can only get one or the other, definitely get it in yds (or meters). Getting a custom BDC turret in anything else defeats the purpose of a BDC turret.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent

Last edited by bruce_ventura; 10-28-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:40 PM

Hi,

Got a tag to hunt ELK late november in Ely, Nevada and the elevation is 6000 ft.

Up in the Andes where I hunt Deer we hunt at 8000 ft

Now if I do a plains hunt in Namibia or Proghorn out west I would be at see level

Looks like I would need more than one BT ring