Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Swarovski Spotting Scope - question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Gold Member

Swarovski Spotting Scope - question?

Today I spent some time with my new Swaro 80mm spotter w/20-60 eye piece.

All I can say is I am hugely UNIMPRESSED!!!!

I have a 5yr old Nikon (non ED, the $700.00 version) Fieldscope 60mm 20-45 eye piece that is a decent piece but certainly not what I would call top notch glass.

First look thru the Swaro and I wasn't very impressed but I gave it the benefit of the doubt so I spent the next 2 hrs in a variety of different light conditions and power settings. My swaro binos are awesome so I was expecting this spotter to be atleast noticably than my $700 nikon. It wasn't!

I set both up side by side looking at the same objects and I could tell no noticable difference between the two. In fact I struggled to notice any difference between the two. Hmmm $700 glass compared to $2000 glass and I can't tell any difference, not good.

Does anyone have any ideas? Did I get a bad swaro spotter or are they just a big price and really nothing special??? At this point I'm really glad I haven't sold my Nikon because unless I'm missing something this one is going back.

What are the opinions on the Leica. Is the Leica worth the money????
Old 09-16-2009, 08:15 AM
PUBLISHER

re: Swarovski Spotting Scope - question?

I have never looked through the Nikon model you mention but I do have a brand new Swarovski 65mm. Recently I had a chance to compare it to my 8 yr old Leupold 12-40x60 scope.

The difference is VERY significant. Much sharper all the way out the the edge. More contrast, too. I love the Leupold, too, especially the long eye relief.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 09-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member

You could have the same issue I have with rifle scopes. For the most part I can't see any difference in any of them once I reach a certain quality level. I looked through a SIII, a Mark 4, and a nightforce NXS, and I couldn't tell any difference between the 3 of them. I could when I compared them to a VXII though. I can tell somewhat with spotting scopes but I think it's due to the lager objectives on them.
Old 09-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Gold Member

You may be right but I would hope I or almost anyone could see the difference between a $700 spotter and a $2000+ spotter. My Swaro binos are significantly better than almost anything I compare them to.

As I mentioned I gave this spotter the benefit of the doubt and honestly tried to see differences between the two and trust me I tried to give the advantage to the Swaro but it just wasn't there.

Having them set up side by side sure made it easy to compare back to back. Maybe I got a bad one. I highly doubt it but if that is a reasonable thought I would be willing to send it back for another but at this point it's going back and I'm going a different direction.

Leica's spotter anyone have any opinions on theirs????
Old 09-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Platinum Member

You could try a PM to Joel Russo. I know he has some Leicas.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Gold Member

Print out a couple of eye charts (the type that are used to check your eyes). Set them out at varying distances, and look at them thru both spotting scopes, paying attention to how small the letters are that you can read.

I'd bet that you'll be able to see the difference between the 2 scopes then.
Old 09-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
You may be right but I would hope I or almost anyone could see the difference between a $700 spotter and a $2000+ spotter. My Swaro binos are significantly better than almost anything I compare them to.

As I mentioned I gave this spotter the benefit of the doubt and honestly tried to see differences between the two and trust me I tried to give the advantage to the Swaro but it just wasn't there.

Having them set up side by side sure made it easy to compare back to back. Maybe I got a bad one. I highly doubt it but if that is a reasonable thought I would be willing to send it back for another but at this point it's going back and I'm going a different direction.

Leica's spotter anyone have any opinions on theirs????
I am not overly impressed with my Leica. My hunting partner's Zeiss blows it away.