Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Swarovski EL Range binoculars - first field tests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Swarovski EL Range binoculars - first field tests

Yeah, night or dusk-ish works the best on a large flat surface around 100 yds away that you can see/find in low light. It's sometimes easiest to set up the camera before it gets dark so it's pointed in the right spot, when it gets dark all you need to do is turn it on and start "ranging" the surface with the rangefinders.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

What do the units weight? And what power? I love my 10 x 32 EL'S
Old 10-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ Longranger View Post
Jon,
I've been told the opposite 1.5 wide by .5 high! I'll check up and come back to you. From the testing I've done they are better than the Zeiss RF's and way better than the Leica's at getting over the tops of intermediate range tree tops etc. I've just been ranging a hill face at 1200 yards thru gaps in a 250 yard row of trees, and the Swaro's can still give you the 1200 yard face thru the tiniest holes in the closer trees that the others can't get even close to doing - especially the Leica!
Greg
Curious to know if you've had hands on time with an HD Geovid?
Old 10-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Silver Member

NZ, are the specs you've read for the EL-range the same as here in the states? Everything I've read says 1500yds range on them. I'm used to LRFs max range to be the max, best expected, in the best conditions. There are exceptions to every rule. Do you think Sawrovski is sand-bagging with these? For me me, if the EL range can do 1500yds 90% of the time, and 1mi in the morning and evening it seems like a no-brainer. I would hate to see whatever makes it to the shelves here, be dumbed down. I was all set on the PLRF05 (2500m) until I read my $2k only gets a 1 year warranty with Vectronix.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbuck View Post
until I read my $2k only gets a 1 year warranty with Vectronix.
I know Swarovski's customer service is tops, but it will be interesting to see how their warranty unfolds with the EL RF's, because right now they're saying two years on electronics. Leica's warranty is five years on electronics.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

Buster,
Yes, I have used both Zeiss RF and Leica Geovid HD binocular rangefinders extensively, both here when I'm doing my optical comparisons etc for my reviews in the magazine, and in the field hunting. I hunt over 150 days every year, so really get the chance to give gear a real work out. I have all three sitting in front of me now, as well as most of the monocular rangefinders. I have very extensive field experience with most rangefinders, including my LRP-3 Russian naval rangefinder that does 35km in a blink. I don't have any experience other than looking thru them at a show of the Vectronics, but Shawn and co can tell you about them.
I have no bias at all, just report things as I find them. That way I retain credibility with my readers, and with all the distributors. If a product is BS, then I say so!

YoungBuck, The 10x42 EL Range weighs 34 oz ready to go including battery, objective and eyepiece covers, the 10x45 Zeiss RF's 40 oz, and the Leica HD's 36 oz.
They will range to 1500 yards to almost any target in any light conditions I'd say, but drizzly rain and cloud will pull them back the same as it does any rangefinder. I've just ran some more comparisons now in drizzly rain and the EL's are doing a comfortable 1300 yards everytime, the Zeiss RF's a scratchy 1200 yards 50% of the time, and the Leica HD's only 800 yards, all to grassy hill faces. Without a doubt the EL's have the best ranging capabilities of the three, and way better than the Leica HD's!
I haven't checked up the electronic warranty on the EL's yet, but I will do so.
Greg
Old 10-27-2011, 11:29 AM

Are they avalible for sale yet in north america.