Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Swarovski EL Range binoculars - first field tests

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 12:59 PM
Silver Member

Re: Swarovski EL Range binoculars - first field tests

Greg could you define what you mean by TBR? Is this a distance that has been computed based on the angle, bullet weight, bc, muzzle velocity, etc. or is it just the horizontal distance based on the cosine of the angle? In other words if my turrent is set up in yards can I just turn the knob to the TBR number and shoot?
Old 10-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Silver Member

Young Buck,
The Vectronix will probably range further, depending on the model, but I don't have a pair here to do a comparison. But the Vectronix PLRF model most are using (like Shawn etc) is not a top end bino as well. I've had a look at the Vectronix rangefinder/Bino, Terrapin I think it was called, , just the other day, but I wouldn't have called them top end optics at all, and they were huge in size. There is no comparison between them and the EL Range, as they are best at quite different uses. They will range to huge distances for sure, but I would still want a good pair of binos as well, which then means you're carrying way more gear around with you.
If you want to range to 1 mile in bright light, the only options are the new EL range or the Vectronix. No other available range finders will do that reliably. The next best is the Zeiss RF Binos (not the monocular), but they are limited to about 1720 yards.
The EL Range is so small and compact with such an awesome and fully featured rangefinder you are truly giving up nothing by having the combined unit.

Hunter,
It displays a TBR like Leupold's s'posedly, not just a cosign. You should be able to just dial in the TBR come up and shoot, or use your ballistic reticle. I've haven't checked it at a good angle at long range yet to confirm just how accurate it is. I will be in some steep enough mountains shortly and will report back.
Greg
Old 10-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

I had emailed Swaro before and they told the beam divergence was 1.5 mil tall and .5 wide. I even emailed back to double check as thatís the opposite of what I would expect. Can you confirm if thatís correct? If so the height of the beam makes me wonder how it will do on small objects over flat ground. Still much better than their monocular rangefinder I would guess, but it would be good to hear how it compares with the others in that respect.

Thanks
Old 10-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ Longranger View Post
Young Buck,
The Vectronix will probably range further, depending on the model, but I don't have a pair here to do a comparison. But the Vectronix PLRF model most are using (like Shawn etc) is not a top end bino as well. I've had a look at the Vectronix rangefinder/Bino, Terrapin I think it was called, , just the other day, but I wouldn't have called them top end optics at all, and they were huge in size. There is no comparison between them and the EL Range, as they are best at quite different uses. They will range to huge distances for sure, but I would still want a good pair of binos as well, which then means you're carrying way more gear around with you.
If you want to range to 1 mile in bright light, the only options are the new EL range or the Vectronix. No other available range finders will do that reliably. The next best is the Zeiss RF Binos (not the monocular), but they are limited to about 1720 yards.
The EL Range is so small and compact with such an awesome and fully featured rangefinder you are truly giving up nothing by having the combined unit.

Hunter,
It displays a TBR like Leupold's s'posedly, not just a cosign. You should be able to just dial in the TBR come up and shoot, or use your ballistic reticle. I've haven't checked it at a good angle at long range yet to confirm just how accurate it is. I will be in some steep enough mountains shortly and will report back.
Greg
something must be wrong with your Zeiss, because the ones i use will range out to 1900 yards on reflective targets constantly and have ranged a wood house in mid day sunshine at 1700+. And the optics are Superb. Just as bright and clear as the non ranging els. compared side by side.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

Jon,
I've been told the opposite 1.5 wide by .5 high! I'll check up and come back to you. From the testing I've done they are better than the Zeiss RF's and way better than the Leica's at getting over the tops of intermediate range tree tops etc. I've just been ranging a hill face at 1200 yards thru gaps in a 250 yard row of trees, and the Swaro's can still give you the 1200 yard face thru the tiniest holes in the closer trees that the others can't get even close to doing - especially the Leica!
Greg
Old 10-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks, Greg. A video camera with "nightshot mode" is a really easy way to check for sure.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:30 PM
Silver Member

Interesting! I'll check that out. You have to do it at night?