Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Swarovski Binoculars?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2002, 01:54 PM
Silver Member

Swarovski Binoculars?

I have a spotting scope but get severe eye strain when looking through it for long periods. I know a lot of guys have 22x bushinell spotting scopes clamped together for their bigeyes.

The idea I have is to buy either a pair of 10X or 15X Swarovski Binoculars and put two doublers on them to boost the power to 20X or 30X for use as Bigeyes. Has anyone tried anything like this? Would you guys get the 10X binos or the 15X??

I could also use the binoculars without the doublers, then I would only need to take out one pair of optics. More importantly I would only need to buy one pair of optics. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

What do you guys think?

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: sr90 ]
Old 10-24-2002, 03:35 PM
Writers Guild

Re: Swarovski Binoculars?

I think the big reason for going through the hassle of building the mounts for two spotting scopes is to try and keep the overal costs down. If you have the budget for top end optics like Zeiss, go for it. For ease of use and portability, one set of binos would be my choice.

One area to consider is magnification. With most spotting scopes, they are variable in power allowing you the flexibility to adjust for distance and conditions. Also field of view.

The doubler is a bit more fiddly to put on and take off then just turning a ring. So in the field, manipulation could be a hassle. I read that Leica is making a variable powder bino that is of exceptional quality. You may want to see how those fit your needs.

Also companies like Deutsche Optiks, carry surplus optics made from the best European manf. They may be more afforable and give you the features you are looking for.

For my needs, I have found that a set of 8X bino's with good quality optics works very well for general glassing to 1km and beyond. I then switch to my Nikon spotting scope for the final view.

I think that bino's like Zeiss and Leica at 10 to 12X is all one needs for glassing then switching to a spotting scope for the final view. Now if you are going after that trophy in the next area code, well just bring money...

Good luck...

Jerry
Old 10-24-2002, 06:04 PM
Silver Member

I have been using 8x30 binos and think I would rather a 10 or 12x for glassing. The 8x are nice though.

I am going to try to find Leicas new variable power binos.

[ 10-24-2002: Message edited by: sr90 ]
Old 10-24-2002, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

I can't find any info on the variable power Leica's I looked on Leica's website but nothing.
Old 10-25-2002, 01:14 AM
Platinum Member

Here's a pair, Duovids is what they call them. I checked out a pair at the local store and I hated them. They didn't quite focus right or something. My Lieca 10x42's are top notch, much nicer in my opinion. The 10x42's here are $660. if I remember right.

Good luck.

HotBuys

[ 10-25-2002: Message edited by: Brent ]
Old 10-25-2002, 09:11 AM
Silver Member

8-12x zoom ratio is too low anyway. Thanks for the link.
Old 10-25-2002, 12:13 PM
Silver Member

I have a pair of 8x30 Swarovski SLC's that I really like but I noticed that on many occasions 8x just isn't enough.

I also have a Leupold 12-40x spotting scope that has been working pretty good, the resolution is nothing to shout about, but it is quite good. My eye gets really sore when looking through it for extended periods. Eye relief isn't very good.

I would really like to use a pair of high power binocs/big eyes to get rid of the eye strain.

I want to get either a pair of Swarovski EL's 10x42's or the SLC in 15x, I am leaning toward the EL's for weigh and their ability to use without a tripod.

If I put two doublers on the 10x I'll have a set of 20x bigeyes in place of my spotting scope, if I get the 15x binocs I will have a pair of 30x bigeyes with addition of the doublers.

I am going to be checking out Swarovski's new 65mm spotting scopes today. Who knows Swarovskis new spotter might eliminate alot of the eye strain. I don't really think it will completely eliminate it though. The new spotters got a good review on a good bird watching website. http://www.betterviewdesired.com