Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Swarovski 4W reticle opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2013, 08:26 PM

Swarovski 4W reticle opinions

Long time viewer first time poster, looking for some help with scope selection.

I'm about to switch from a Swaro Z3 3-10x42 BRH to a Z5 3.5-18x44 BT 4W on my 300 wsm.

I really like the thickness of the BRH reticle and I'm concerned that the 4W may be too thin. I'm not able to look through one so I'm hoping someone can chime in with their thoughts on the 4W, ideally compared to the BRH. Primary use is hunting so ability to see the reticle in low light is a must.

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:00 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Swarovski 4W reticle opinions

I don't think you will have an issue with the 4W. I have one and have no problem picking it up in low light.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
I don't think you will have an issue with the 4W. I have one and have no problem picking it up in low light.
After using the 4W do you ever wish you had a diff reticle or are you happy with it?
Old 03-16-2013, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

I have two Z5s, both with the ballistic turret:

3.5-18x42 plex, and a 3.5-18x42 4W.

I greatly prefer the 4W. I am a knob turner for elevation (thus the two BTs) but the plex reticle did not allow any reference for windage. Now I can dial my distance with the BT, but have reference points for windage. This is especially helpful in relating practice to the field.

"Kentucky Windage" isn't repeatable for me!
Old 03-16-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintH8R View Post
I have two Z5s, both with the ballistic turret:

3.5-18x42 plex, and a 3.5-18x42 4W.

I greatly prefer the 4W. I am a knob turner for elevation (thus the two BTs) but the plex reticle did not allow any reference for windage. Now I can dial my distance with the BT, but have reference points for windage. This is especially helpful in relating practice to the field.

"Kentucky Windage" isn't repeatable for me!
I agree. I liked the windage feature on the BRH reticle as well. My only concern was crosshair thickness, but I've decided to give it a shot and order the 4W scope. Thanks for your input!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member

Nice. I think you will be very happy with it. Not sure if you have had a chance to shoot through a z5 yet or not. I think you will be impressed. For a relatively light-weight scope, it holds its own against some of the heavy tactical types I have. And the glass is awesome.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:34 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

You will not be disappointed with this scope. The contrast is outstanding. In my opinion this model is one of the best hunting scopes available for a lightweight rifle.

HighPowerOptics currently is selling a Z5 3.5-18x44 BT 4W display unit. This is a great opportunity to save $100 on this scope. The scope is like new - except for a little dust - and has a full warranty.

This just went up on the web site. It will go fast.

Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44 BT 4W

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent