Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Swaro Rangefinder Feedback

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 11:18 AM
Silver Member

Swaro Rangefinder Feedback

Considering a trade for a Swaro Rangefinder. I wanted feedback from current owner/users. General feedback and the question, given newer models and technology would you choose it again?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Swaro Rangefinder Feedback

I got one last year and it is a nice product. My friends have used it that own other brands and they are pissed that they went cheap and got what they got.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:43 PM
SPONSOR

Best (meaning furtherest range) commercially available (meaning not inclusive of the Vectronix units) monocular on the market. Always outperforms my Geovids by a huge margin. Waiting for the new Swaro Laser binoculars but I'll probably get a Vectronix and call it good.

Thoroughbred Rifles
Old 12-17-2011, 12:35 AM
Silver Member

I looked around and according to what I could find on the Sworo the beam divergence is 2 mils by 2 mils. If this is true you will have a very difficult time getting true readings on targets such as deer and coyotes on flat open ground. You will have to try to range larger objects near your target.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:38 AM
Platinum Member

Some pertinent information and field testing in this Thread:

Rangefinder Field Test: Swarovski 8x30 Laser Guide Vs. Leica CRF 1600 Rangemaster
Old 12-17-2011, 02:00 AM
Silver Member

I am happy with mine, got mine used. Sometimes have trouble getting a range in the sun, but I live in Oregon and ranging clearcuts, rocks etc in the mountains I have gotten ranges over 1900 yards several times. 1200-1600 yards is not hard to get.
Old 12-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
I looked around and according to what I could find on the Sworo the beam divergence is 2 mils by 2 mils. If this is true you will have a very difficult time getting true readings on targets such as deer and coyotes on flat open ground. You will have to try to range larger objects near your target.
It is true, and it will bite you sooner or later. It did me on a huge Kansas buck in a corn field. This was when I started researching the beam divergence of different Rf's. The larger beam will reflect off objects easier. Ths in my opinion is why the Swaro makes you feel you are carrying a superior unit. Until that day when it absolutly will not give consecutive reading at 900 or so yards because it is grabbing every thing but the actual target.

The Leica has the smallest beam in this price range unit. This is why I say it is the most precise of the Swaro, Leica or Zeiss. If you want to range the actual deer at 1000 yards get a small beam and put it on sand bags.

I have done my homework, owned them all ( borrowed a Zeiss for a few days) and tested in all conditions. I have sold off all except one Leica 1200 CRF. I keep it for a back up to my Vectronics PLRF10. I used the leica a few nights ago to range a dead bull elk on top a snow covered hill. The Leica said 1341 several times. Then I pulled out the big dawg, the vectronix confirmed the leica was telling th truth.

Jeff