Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Swaro EL Rangfinder Binocs - User Opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2012, 04:11 AM
Silver Member

Re: Swaro EL Rangfinder Binocs - User Opinions

Guys,
Having used these continually hunting for almost a year now, I have this to say about the pair I have. They are the best rangefinding bino combo on the market for a serious longrange walkabout hunter. They have superb optics, a rangefinder that will range to typical hunting targets/trees etc to over 2000 yards in lowish light, and 1800 yards in bright light. I have both Geovids and Zeiss RF's, and the EL's are in another league above. Their inbuilt TBR feature works superbly, and we've taken large Red stags and Wapiti (Elk) bulls to 1000 yards with them so far, and all sorts of very steep angles over 30 degrees, and they've been right on the money. I have taken other female deer to 1200 yards with them.
The Geovids hate light cloud and light rain, and neither the Geovids nor the Zeiss RF's have the TBR feature
I say again, comparing all three top European rangefinder/bino combos, the EL's are in another league. There are more powerful tactical type units, but none more suitable to the serious hunter.
Now I'm not going to get into an argument with anyone, but these are my thoughts on the pair I have,
Greg
Old 06-28-2012, 11:27 PM
Platinum Member

That is interesting because I got readings with the Leica 1600,where the Sawro took many tries or wouldnt read in ten.This was at local range and mountain behinds,that is typical to or area.1200-1400.Rock out cropings,clumps of trees.I have a friend with the Gevoids,but have only used them antelope hunting. I also have a bud w/terriapin and the swaro is not in that league.I know you arer talking combo,but after using one,I am as well of with 2 units and less weight with what I have for so little gain.And I am a PRO Swaro guy.The Swaro did out distance the Lieca ,but at about 5 times cost.Might save money and get a terrapin that out distance the swaro easy.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:11 AM
Silver Member

sp6x6,
It sounds to me like your set may have been faulty? I have used 3 different sets and all of them eat the Leica's by a large margin in all conditions in ranging capability. Either that or I've struck 3 exceptional sets! The Zeiss RF's come close, but peak out at 1700 yards, and neither have the EL's TBR feature.
As I said, there are other straight rangefinders and larger tactical style bino/rangefinders like the Vectronix etc and military units like my LRP-3 (35kms!) that will certainly beat them in ranging capability, but as a serious walkabout hunting rangefinder/bino, there is currently no equal.
I didn't say they are the cheapest, but if you consider the cost of a set of top quality European binos, and any rangefinder capable of around 2000 yards, they are good value in my opinion. And if you consider the weight of a 10x42 binos and a rangefinder, you are lighter in all up weight as well. On top of that there is no doubt you will get more game having both in the one unit. It is simply quicker, especially when you consider the excellent TBR feature. I have no allegiance to any brand. I just want the best for hunters, and at the moment the EL Range is definitely that in the category we're talking about.
Greg
ps, there is no comparison between the old Swaro monocular Laser Guide 8x30 and the new EL Range. The Laser Guide doesn't even come close in ranging capabilities.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Bronze Member

NZ, have you been able to compare the glass on the EL Rangefinder bin's to those of the EL Swarovisions?

I really want to pull the trigger on the EL ranging binoc's but was just curious how much I was going to give up in optical quality compared to my EL Swarovisions.

Thank you
Old 07-01-2012, 04:32 AM
Silver Member

OLI,
I've done side by side optical tests against two different test patterns with the new SLC HD Swarovisions. The EL Range was the equal of the new SLC's resolution wise, so you're giving up nothing. I haven't compared them with the latest 10x42 EL's, but have with the latest 10x32 Swarovision EL's, and the EL Range again was at least as good resolution wise.
Greg
Old 07-28-2012, 05:19 PM
Silver Member

I bought a Swarovski 10x42 EL Range Binocular and sent it to a friend in Idaho to try out. He and some of his friends were at a bow competition last week end and were also trying out and comparing various rangefinders that members of the group had. My pair of Swarovski EL Range Binoculars only reached 1026 yds once and all other attempts were less than 1000yds while another pair was consistently ranging above 1800 yds. They changed the battery in mine but this did not help. They also had Bushnell Fusion Binocular Rangefinder ranging better than 1800 yds as well as Zeiss.

Is there anything else to try before sending them back to Swarovski?
Old 07-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Silver Member

NZ is there a maximum range that the EL Range will compute and show the corrected shooting distance for an angle shot. I believe I saw somewhere that it would compute the corrected shooting distance out to 1000 yds and after that you had to use the angle to figure your drops.

If I have mine set on displaying the corrected shooting range and I am trying to range something in the 1500 yd area at an angle could this be affecting my unit not ranging that for? Just groping for possible answers.

Bill