Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Swaro Bino's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Bronze Member

Swaro Bino's

I'm looking into upgrading to Swaro bino's for hunting out in the west. It's pretty confusing with all of the choices. I'm looking at the 8.5x42 EL, 10x42 EL, 10x42 SLC and 8x42 SLC.

I'm leaning towards the 8.5x42 El's. What's the difference between the binos being made with Swarovision vs the 3-4 year old models without. If one can pick up a used pair of 8.5x42 EL's for $1200 or so is that a good deal.

Any opinions for the right binos for hunting out west would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-07-2012, 08:16 AM
Silver Member

Re: Swaro Bino's

I looked thru the new EL 8.5x42 recently and they are phenomenal. But as you mention they are also major coin, 2400 thru B&H if I remember correctly.

I have a 15 year old pair of Zeiss that are good enough for me at this point in time, also great glass.

You may want to check the Swarovski web site, if I remember correctly they are doing a trade in/up of their older versions, maybe there is a reason.

I really like both Zeiss and Swarovski. The Swarovski spotting scopes are without a doubt in my opinion the best out there but again, very expensive. The depth of field and clarity of their bigger spotter is again phenomenal.

If it were me and I could pickup an older version I was happy with and there were no issues I would buy it. I believe the warranty if transferable. And I have spoken to them on the telephone, nice people.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:03 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz4me2 View Post
..... What's the difference between the binos being made with Swarovision vs the 3-4 year old models without.
In terms of the EL series:

Swarovison has been added to the new EL's which is the combination field flattening lenses and their upgraded glass. The newer EL's also have a redesigned focusing mechanism which is faster than the old. Quicker adjustment basicly, less rotating of the wheel to focus where you need to. The minimal focusing distance is 5ft on the newer EL's.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:57 PM

Yep, those Swarovision binos are awesome. I cannot believe how relax the view is through a pair of binoculars.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:42 PM
Platinum Member

Nothing wrong with a good used pair,deal sound good. I had Ziess 10x42,Swaro 10x42 el and traded a friend for 10x32 el for size.I sit one on tripod w/others stacked on top at dusk and my eyes could not tell difference.
Old 06-11-2012, 02:23 PM
Bronze Member

it's been hashed over, but i'll do it again,

the new swarovski el binoculars have some really important added features

HD glass- the glass in the swarovision el binoculars has calcium fluoride crystal, it's much better for a few reasons, but to name a new, extra low dispersion, better crispness and clarity even at high magnifications, better contrast.

field flattners that allow for wider field of view

the eye box is more comfortable when i've compared mine to older models

i've been using the swarovision 10x42 binoculars since they came out and they continue to give great service regardless of what i'm doing with them
Old 06-11-2012, 05:06 PM
Silver Member

No doubt in my mind Swaro is the best thing since sliced bread when it comes to high end glass. Their spotting scopes are phenomenal for ease of use, clarity, depth of field, etc.

But when the dollar comes back real strong which it will before the end of the year will Swaro drop the price to where some of us can afford their glass? Jeepers 2400. for a pair of mid-size binoculars??

Pricing on some of these items has gotten way, way out of hand. I am really hoping the foreign manufacturers who were able to pass on phenomenal pricing increases here in the USA will back off and back down when things change, this is going to determine where I spend a lot of my money.

Sorry but facts are facts.