Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Survey on Scopes!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2004, 09:04 PM

Survey on Scopes!!!

Lets make this interesting. How about a survey on scopes. Price excluded. Very best on down. I think everybody here is very helpful so I would like to see opinons.

I look at different scopes and sometimes have a hard time seeing which one had better clarity. Those of you with experience, I think this will help! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2004, 09:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: Survey on Scopes!!!

Otis, you just opened a big bag of worms here, but a very good question. Should be some interesting conversations take place.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:24 AM
Silver Member

ok, I will start it off.

Nikon Monarch
Bushnell Elite 4200
Weaver Grand Slam
Zeiss Conquest
Leupold VX-III

Nikon Buckmaster
Weaver Classic
Bushnell Elite 3200
Burris Fullfield II
Leupold VX-II

Now, these all take in consideration the quality vs. price comparison amount the different brands. I am not saying that one is better than the other, just when you look at the price vs. the quality, this is how I would rank them. Each brand has specific features that makes each one unique or better for an individuals hunting or shooting situation.
Old 11-05-2004, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

First by durability (faith in it's ability to remain a scope and not a metal tube with glass ends) and then by clarity (far less important to me).

Leupold Mk4 (the "real" MK4s)
Nikon Tactical
NightForce NXS
Leupold "tactical" Long Range (a part of the new MK4s)
Leupold VXII
Toilet paper roll tube with thread and masking tape reticle feature.
Springfield Armory

By clarity

Toilet paper tube (with or without those pesky reticle thread(s).
Nikon Tactical
NightForce NXS
Leupold Tactical (Long Range)
Leupold Mk4 (the real MK4s)
Springfield Armory (with or without those pesky reticle threads)
Leupold VXII
Old 11-05-2004, 10:26 AM
Bronze Member

Hey Dave, I take it, you don't care for SpringField Armory, i.e. HAKKO made in Japan. I do have one mounted on a M1A and have not had any problems, but I don't shoot it nearly as often as the Leupolds. You're not the first person that I've heard say that thet're not very good. So, I'll definately keep that info in mind. The more I hear it, the less I even consider them.

Steve
Old 11-05-2004, 11:56 AM
Writers Guild

PracTac, Hakko is one of the largest glass and scope supplier in the industry. They make a lot of scopes for different companies. Their quality varies by what the end user wants and the price point they are trying to meet.

Springfields are not known for their optical excellence. Many say they are great but what is their point of reference. I believe Springfield is leaning more towards bells and whistles then optical clarity.

When you have used scopes like the Nikon Monarch and Elite 4200's, looking through other 'good' scopes doesn't excite you.

If you can, try out as many brands as possible. The differences will be quite obvious. Just pick the scope that looks right to you. Mechanically, most of the upper brands are just fine, but they will vary alot in what image they provide.

As you can tell from the posts above, Nikon and Bushnell Elite have a strangle hold on the tops for optical quality right now. Will be interesting to see how the majors challenge that. Leupold will certainly respond and if Ian let's us know how his tests go, we will have some very good insight.

There was a time when price determined quality. However, with the wonderful world of China, quality determines quality. The Nikons and Elites are up to 1/3 cheaper then a comparable Leupold.

I have been very impressed with Burris FullfieldII for the money. If you want an actual true 'made in the USA' product, that would get my vote.

Jerry
Old 11-05-2004, 02:05 PM
Bronze Member

Jerry, I was just razzing Dave a bit. I got a kick out of the fact he put the Springfields below the toilet paper roll. I do have a couple HAKKO makes in my inventory, i.e. SA and a Hawke, but they are what they are. I mostly use the Leupold MK4s 6.5x20-50 LR/T. However, I'm looking into building another custom rifle in 300wsm and using a NF-NXS, but even there, some opinions vary. I just try to use every piece of info I get from the comments made. It's often very helpful. Thanks for the tips.

Steve