Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Super Sniper Scope....as good as they advertise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2005, 08:50 AM
Bronze Member

Super Sniper Scope....as good as they advertise

Hi,
I'm new, and looking to do target shooting out to 500 yds. I thought this might be a good forum to get some great info. I'm considering a .308 and looking for a good value on optics. SWFA has the Super Sniper Scope, that they rave about. Sometimes (a lot of times) things don't perform as advertised. Any experiences?

Ramses II
Old 02-08-2005, 09:16 AM

Re: Super Sniper Scope....as good as they advertise

Welcome to LRH. Can't speak from personal experience, but have a lot of friends; who swear by them. Plan on ordering 2 in the next few weeks myself. Two things that should make it sell itself are: Military specs & etched glass recticle. Besides, the next step up more than doubles your money. If ya can afford mo better, take a look at leupold. If you're like me, and have to pinch pennies til they bleed, go with the SS.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:31 AM
Writers Guild

There are great value. Optically very useable. I feel they are about the same as the Luppy VX 111. Not as good as the Nikon, Euros but also 1/3 the price.

Repeatable knobs. I have used several 10X and one 16X. Optics are good in these. The only 20X I played with had horrid optics. Maybe just a bad apple but you may want to check that out.

Jerry
Old 02-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Silver Member

Ramses II, As a matter of fact this was my very first Tactical/Longrange scope and the price was real cheep compared to others. It came out like maybe 12 or 15 yrs ago. It was quite a long time ago, and it is still around today. Poor products don't stay on the market that long. Anyway the turrets worked very well for me, as back then I use to count clicks till I was shown how to use them in MOA's to make quicker adjustments.

The only problems I had was with the mildot reticle and the fixed power. I never did figure out how to use the mildot system but they say if you get the mildot master, it will teach you everything you need to know on how to use the mildot reticle to its fullest potential.

Also for me I did not like the fixed power that I purchased. I thought it would be OK but I just did not like it. I have always like the ability to adjust magnification depending on situations.

I now use the Leupolds VX III's and the Mk4 LR/T M1's but they remind me a lot of the Super Sniper with the 30mm tubes, big turret knobs and the 15MOA per turn adjustment. I also like the side focus of my Leupold better than the focal ring on the scope as you donot have to move positions to adjust or set.

I guess now they are built exclusively for SWFA in Texas. From what I have read the quality has gotten even better and they are still half the cost of the Leupold MK4's. If I wanted a Tactical/Longrange scope and I had to watch cost I would have no problems purchasing one of these again. I might just look to see if they had it in a 3-9 or 3-10 or a 4-14 or something like that also I think now they offer it in the side focus as well which is very nice.

For their cost and features I think these are a very good scope. They are definitely high end for their price point, all thing considered. Good luck and welcome to the board.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 02-08-2005, 02:36 PM

Hey Ramses,

My brother bought the Super Sniper 10x42 side focus. It was a nice scope, but it was totally useless when the side focus quit working after 5-10 minutes of ownership. He sent it back to SWFA, and got his money back.

These scopes are supposed to be built to military specs? Good luck to the sniper that might have been using this particular one...

The funny thing is, I actually read a review the night after he bought this scope, and a guy had the same exact problem...
Old 02-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Silver Member

Johnathan, I Purchased a Nikon Monarch 800 for bow hunting this past fall, and first time I went to use it nothing, it did not work but that does not mean I returned and didn't replace. No, I exchanged it for one that worked.

I have seen on this board people who have gotten a brand new Leica rangfinder and they have not worked. Does this mean that we should not purchase or use them?

No, It just means that for some reason a company that normally puts out a good quality product, had one of there units fail for some reason.

I am not saying that you are not entitled to your opinion, you certainly are. I am just saying, "Eat another sheep a thousand wolves can't be wrong." Nor can the thousands of folks that have purchased the Super Sniper Scope and love them.

Ben
Old 02-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Silver Member

I've been using these since before SWFA had them. You bought them at military contract price from Hoffman Enterprises, just under $800 back when.mid 80's IIRC.

Finally broke one of these last fall. Well actually didn't break it, just wore it out from dialing a few thousand firing solutions. that's about 8 barrels on my 308. Not a bad service life for a 400 buck product.
Never seen one actually break, don't know an actual owner who has broken one. Know alot of folks who have a friend who knows someone who broke one, never even seen a disparaging article on one of these, although many such mystical articles are cited on the net.

Buy one, let us know how it turns out. They have a lifetime warranty.