Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Super Sniper Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Bronze Member

Super Sniper Problems

I ordered and received my Super Sniper 10x scope from SWFA in February of this year. It has sat securely in my safe until Imounted it on my rifle last week. I mounted it w/ 30 mm Leupold rings and fastened the rings to Leupold factory recommendation. I shot the scope today 4/29. I had never noticed any problems before but, after about 50 rds. I noticed a black blemish on the left side of the scope view just above the horizontal line, and a small black scratch just below and right of the center axis. I thoroughly wiped the rear and front lenses with the scope cloth provided with the scope. No change. I repeated the process and still no change. I have no choice but to assume the blemish and scratch are internal. The optics were otherwise bright and accurate ( I shot some very accurate loads). However, I am concerned thes internal; flaws may lead to future problems. Could this be a sign of the rings being too tight? I was careful to make them snug but not too tight.

What y'all think?

Ramses II
Old 04-30-2005, 07:33 PM

Re: Super Sniper Problems

I own a 10X and a 16X SS- the 16 has a piece of something at about 11 o'clock in the viewing field. I've never mounted the 16 to a rifle, and the dust or whatever it is appeared sometime after I purchased it.

I like the 10X, I imagine I'll put the 16 on something someday.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:31 PM
Writers Guild

Unfortunately, internal junk is quite common in these scopes. They will be cleaned under warranty though. call SWFA for help.

Jerry
Old 04-30-2005, 08:59 PM
Silver Member

Folks,

Give Chris a call at SWFA and he'll let you know what you need to do to get it fixed.. Every scope manufactured that has a glass reticle runs the risk of having debris stick to the lenses with the reticle etched in it.

They are under warranty and turn around time to fix this is very quick.

Hope it helps,

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 05-01-2005, 04:09 AM
Bronze Member

I've sent swfa an e-mail, and I'll probably follow up with a call Monday mornin'. I've heard (just heard don't know if it's true) that Bushnell does the warranty work for the Super Sniper (as Busnell purchased Tasco-sure enough the address listed for warranty work on info that came with the SS matches the address for warranty work on Bushnell's web-site. The Bushnell site says that warranty work takes 3-4 weeks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]!!!!

I've just spent 3-4 weeks buyin and putting together all this stuff, it will really stink if I have to wait this long!

Ramses II
Old 05-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Silver Member

RamsesII,

Give Chris a call at SWFA on Monday 972 726-7348. I think there current turn-around time is about 10 days according to another shooter on another board. They quote worst case turn-around times on there web site.

Keep us posted on how it goes and have a great weekend.

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 05-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Silver Member

I had the exact same problem with a 16x SS that I bought a while back. I sent it back for a refund. I won't go into detail on why I decided to go with the full refund instead of replacement, as I have already discussed it on here. However, SWFA was great to deal with and promptly made the refund. I ended up going with a Nikon Tactical.