Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Suggestions on 20 MOA bases

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2013, 08:55 PM
Silver Member

Re: Suggestions on 20 MOA bases

Apologize for intruding in on this thread but I am also looking for a Remington LA rail and some 30mm rings.

Couple of questions, is steel or aluminum rail/rings better or worse than the other? Can you mix the two or should they both be the same?

I have also only had Leupold rings/bases, both one and two piece, so kind of a new arena for me.

Thanks for your help!
Old 02-20-2013, 03:03 PM
Bronze Member

I've been real happy with Murphy Precision. Whatever base you go with, make sure you bed it to the receiver. No matter how good your base, if you don't bed, it'll warp to fit your receiver.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Platinum Member

EGW rails. Personally I use their 15 minute rails and then use Leupold QD rings with them
Old 02-20-2013, 11:01 PM
Silver Member

So you can mix a aluminum rail with steel rings?
Old 02-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Bronze Member

I use EGW Heavy Duty rails. Mounting a 20MOA right now on my Savage 110 FCP HS Precision .338 Lapua Magnum. Funny thing is it came with a 20MOA EGW rail, but the EGW Heavy Duty rails are waaaaay better than their standard ones. The EGW HD rails are one-piece scope mounts that are precision machined from solid 7075 T6 aircraft grade aluminum. I like how the picatinny slots run the full length, for max options. The cross slots are also machined the full width of the mount and gauged to MIL-STD 1913 specs maintaining tolerances of +/-.002".

Course if you can afford some of the titanium or steel one piece rails out there, then you could squeeze a little more performance out of them, but at $69 the EGW HD rails in my opinion are the best "bang for your buck" (pun intended )
Old 02-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenderoMan View Post
So you can mix a aluminum rail with steel rings?

??? Why not???
Old 02-21-2013, 04:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherCreekFarms View Post
I use EGW Heavy Duty rails. Mounting a 20MOA right now on my Savage 110 FCP HS Precision .338 Lapua Magnum. Funny thing is it came with a 20MOA EGW rail, but the EGW Heavy Duty rails are waaaaay better than their standard ones. The EGW HD rails are one-piece scope mounts that are precision machined from solid 7075 T6 aircraft grade aluminum. I like how the picatinny slots run the full length, for max options. The cross slots are also machined the full width of the mount and gauged to MIL-STD 1913 specs maintaining tolerances of +/-.002".

Course if you can afford some of the titanium or steel one piece rails out there, then you could squeeze a little more performance out of them, but at $69 the EGW HD rails in my opinion are the best "bang for your buck" (pun intended )

And the stand EGW rail is made from 6061 T6 AL....and for the purpose of a scope mounting rail the two different materials dont mean jack squat.!!

I dont see the middle length ( full length) center slot on the "HD" series as I do on their regular series and from your tale of woe I guess EGW must chop the slots out with a hachet on the standard rails as compared to machining with tolerances of +/- .002 yeah...right.

Go get the nitrided steel or the Titanium rails for better performance......how??...I have no dammed idea.?????