Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Struggling w/bino purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2001, 05:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: Struggling w/bino purchase

Any user/potential buyer of optics would be well advised to check the excellent info available on 'Better View Desired' here: http://betterviewdesired.com/

Although geared somewhat to birdwatching pursuits, the author's expertise in optics cannot be questioned. FYI, he rates the Nikon Venturer LX as the very best roof prism bino available. Keep in mind that this bino is a bit heavy.

Best value in a carryable bino? The Pentax DCF/WP. He rates it a best buy, which is a very rare thing for him, and having bought a pair, I can see how they merit such praise.

Snob appeal is one thing, but value, i.e. performance for dollars spent, is another that many of us must consider.

Good luck gents, in all of your shooting and hunting endeavors.
Old 02-08-2002, 02:23 PM

Re: Struggling w/bino purchase

The Kahles 10 X 42 are hard to beat as a long range bino. I have used these now for two years in Old Mexico whitetail hunting and really have enjoyed them. If I see something that warrants a closer look, I get on them with the Swarovski ST 80. The Kahles have good eye cups and I can look through them for hours without any eye strain at all. They are great at dusk and dawn both and are worth a look.