Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics


Reply

Steiner Predator binoculars how good are they?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 12-11-2013, 09:57 AM
Official LRH Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ventura CA
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
yup and at 57 years old im sure my old eyes probably dont see an advantage in an exit pupil bigger then 4mm and certainly dont allow me to see the differnce between 4 and 5mm...
You're underestimating your eyes. At 57 your eyes should dilate beyond 5 mm. I'm 56 and mine do. Obviously, there is a lot of variation person-to-person. Generally, the 25% higher magnification of the 10x40 doesn't make up for the 64% brightness factor, or the lower field of view.

That said, the Nikon Monarch 5 may have better anti-reflection coatings than the Steiner Predator. If so, that would be a small effect - 10% at most in low light.
__________________

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 816
Re: Steiner Predator binoculars how good are they?

bruce if i follow your reasoning we can take two binoculars. We will pick two that you sell. Say a set of nikon prostaff 8x40s and a set of swarovski 10x40s and the nikons are going to do better in low light? Or take a set of 8x40 swarovskis and a pair of 8x40 prostaffs and your only going to gain 10 percent better low light performance for the 2800 dollar differnce in price. Hardly makes it worth while buying a sent of expensive binoculars. Both will easily let you see what a guy needs to see in broad daylight hunting. I dont sell binoculars or scopes and sure am no expert but sure know that one of my vx2 2x7x32 leupolds does a heck of alot better in low light then one of the cheap tasco or bushnell 3x9x40s set on 7x and im sure if you compared a tope end 32mm ziess, kales or swarovski to my leupolds theyd put it to shame in low light. Am i missing something here. Have i been buying good scopes and binoculars instead of just buying cheap ones with big objective lenses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
You're underestimating your eyes. At 57 your eyes should dilate beyond 5 mm. I'm 56 and mine do. Obviously, there is a lot of variation person-to-person. Generally, the 25% higher magnification of the 10x40 doesn't make up for the 64% brightness factor, or the lower field of view.

That said, the Nikon Monarch 5 may have better anti-reflection coatings than the Steiner Predator. If so, that would be a small effect - 10% at most in low light.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Official LRH Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ventura CA
Posts: 845
Good question. In terms of low light performance, exit pupil is the dominant factor. The difference in magnification won't make up for the light loss. That's apparent from the luminance contrast curves for the human eye.

As long as you're comparing optics in a similar price range, the difference in coating transmission is not more than 10%. However, that won't apply comparing, say a $200 8x40 roof prism bino with a $1,000 bino. In that case, cheaper coatings will have lower transmission, probably by as much as 30%. Now the difference in low light performance will be harder to notice.

I've heard the older Steiner binos had low transmission coatings. I don't believe the newer Predator binos are that bad. I'll look for transmission data when I get back to the office.

There are other reasons for buying the higher end optics. Transmission is higher for high end optics, but not by as much as you would expect, because those products usually have more lenses. The light loss per lens is lower, but the light has to pass through more lenses. Resolution across the field of view, usable field of view, and color accuracy generally improve with price. Ergonomics improve and fatigue is much less for higher end optics.

Fatigue is hard to quantify. It has to do with collimation, usable field of view, resolution and other factors. I know from personal experience that classing for two hours with a cheap binocular is almost impossible for me, while doing it with a Swarovski SLC is almost effortless. The higher end bino allows me to focus attention on the scene, while the lower end bino forces me to focus attention on the process of classing and managing eye, neck and shoulder fatigue.
__________________

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-12-2013, 06:46 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 816
Re: Steiner Predator binoculars how good are they?

In this case were compairing a 250 dollar set to a 600 dollar set. So i would expect at that much differnce in cost that the stieneers would have better coatings which would make them at least compare to the nikons. Were talking almost 3 times the cost. It would sure make the nikons a great bang for the buck if not. I understand about the fatique factor and daylight performance with the more expensive glass. I doubt though that there would be much differnce in these two in those aspects. I really dont do alot of glassing anyway. We dont have the large open areas. What i use mine for is like i said checking out horn size in low light and in the fall i do crop damage shooting and have to determine at longer ranges if a deer is a doe before i shoot as were not suppose to shoot bucks. Its kind of why im not all that conserned. I mostly use the 8x in deer season when low light perfomance is needed. the 10x are used for crop damage and when it starts gettting dark we go home. No fun chasing wounded deer especially at night so we just go home and come back the next day when shooting conditions are ideal.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-12-2013, 07:33 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Great Falls, MT
Posts: 4,828
Re: Steiner Predator binoculars how good are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
In this case were compairing a 250 dollar set to a 600 dollar set. So i would expect at that much differnce in cost that the stieneers would have better coatings which would make them at least compare to the nikons. Were talking almost 3 times the cost. It would sure make the nikons a great bang for the buck if not. I understand about the fatique factor and daylight performance with the more expensive glass.
FYSA, I did a quick price comparison and came up with ...

Nikon Monarch 5 10x42 Binocular FREE S&H 7577. Nikon Binoculars. for $330

Steiner 10x42mm Predator Xtreme Roof Prism Waterproof Binocular FREE S&H 2581. Steiner Binoculars. for $370
__________________

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.



"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 816
Re: Steiner Predator binoculars how good are they?

your looking at standard price for the nikons and a sale price for the steiners. camera land lists standard prices as 299 for the nikons and 499 for the preditors. My mistake is saying they list at twice as much but its a good amount more. To be honest i didnt pay 499 either it was closer to the 300 as a dealer sample. I didnt pay 299 for the nikons either it was closer to 250 on sale. there still a big bump up in price and are priced comparable to nikon monark x binoculars which from what ive read are a pretty big step up from the monarch 5s.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/n...page=nikon7576

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics2/...ge=steiner2581
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-12-2013, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Great Falls, MT
Posts: 4,828
Re: Steiner Predator binoculars how good are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
your looking at standard price for the nikons and a sale price for the steiners. camera land lists standard prices as 299 for the nikons and 499 for the preditors. My mistake is saying they list at twice as much but its a good amount more. To be honest i didnt pay 499 either it was closer to the 300 as a dealer sample. I didnt pay 299 for the nikons either it was closer to 250 on sale. there still a big bump up in price and are priced comparable to nikon monark x binoculars which from what ive read are a pretty big step up from the monarch 5s.

Nikon - CameraLand NY

Steiner - CameraLand NY
I simply did as noted a quick cost comparison (current acquisition cost) from a single source of OP's subject query and Nikon Monarch 5 per your #10 post, except I made them both 10x42s.
__________________

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.



"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC