Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics


Reply

Steiner Predator binoculars how good are they?

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 10-24-2013, 09:55 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Michigan Freeland
Posts: 238
Re: Steiner Predator binoculars how good are they?

stomp442 what are your bino's you have 12x50 or 12x 56 or 12x 40?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-24-2013, 10:30 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Safford Arizona
Posts: 144
Re: Steiner Predator binoculars how good are they?

I have the 12x40 predators and the 20x80 military.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-10-2013, 12:30 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 815
Re: Steiner Predator binoculars how good are they?

a little late but i figured id share this. I just got back from deer camp and had my 10x40 preditors and my 8x40 nikon monarch 5s. I fooled around one night at camp and as it got dark i kept testing. I got a result i didnt really want. My nikons which were about 200 bucks cheaper beat the preditors. It wasnt by much but without telling my brother in law which were the more expensive i had him check too and he agreed the nikons were better in low light.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-10-2013, 08:02 PM
Official LRH Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Ventura CA
Posts: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
a little late but i figured id share this. I just got back from deer camp and had my 10x40 preditors and my 8x40 nikon monarch 5s. I fooled around one night at camp and as it got dark i kept testing. I got a result i didnt really want. My nikons which were about 200 bucks cheaper beat the preditors. It wasnt by much but without telling my brother in law which were the more expensive i had him check too and he agreed the nikons were better in low light.
Not surprising to me. The exit pupil on the Nikon is 5 mm, vs 4 mm for the Steiner. That means the brightness of the Steiner would be 64% that of the Nikon in low light. I assume it was dark enough for your eye pupil to dilate above 5 mm.

That's why I prefer 8x40 binos over 10x40 binos for hunting.
__________________

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-11-2013, 06:35 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 815
Re: Steiner Predator binoculars how good are they?

Usually though to my eyes identical glass one 8x and one 10 usually is about a tie. The extra magnification makes up for the smaller exit pupil in low light situations. I wish i had a 8x set of preditors to compare to the nikons but dont know anyone who has a pair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
Not surprising to me. The exit pupil on the Nikon is 5 mm, vs 4 mm for the Steiner. That means the brightness of the Steiner would be 64% that of the Nikon in low light. I assume it was dark enough for your eye pupil to dilate above 5 mm.

That's why I prefer 8x40 binos over 10x40 binos for hunting.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-11-2013, 07:01 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Great Falls, MT
Posts: 4,810
Re: Steiner Predator binoculars how good are they?

Quote:
Usually though to my eyes identical glass one 8x and one 10 usually is about a tie. The extra magnification makes up for the smaller exit pupil in low light situations. I wish i had a 8x set of preditors to compare to the nikons but dont know anyone who has a pair.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
Not surprising to me. The exit pupil on the Nikon is 5 mm, vs 4 mm for the Steiner. That means the brightness of the Steiner would be 64% that of the Nikon in low light. I assume it was dark enough for your eye pupil to dilate above 5 mm.

That's why I prefer 8x40 binos over 10x40 binos for hunting.
The exit pupil on the the predator 10x42 is 4.2mm while the 8x42 is 5.25mm as noted by Bruce clearly gives the 8x the exit pupil advantage. I too am interested on the Steiner's esp. on its CAT lens technology --- my old eyes really like them.

Ed
__________________

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.



"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 815
Re: Steiner Predator binoculars how good are they?

yup and at 57 years old im sure my old eyes probably dont see an advantage in an exit pupil bigger then 4mm and certainly dont allow me to see the differnce between 4 and 5mm. The extra magnification a 10x set has probably helps me more when trying to judge deer antlers in low light then 1mm of exit pupil. Where i hunt a deer has to have at least 3 points on one side to be legal. Exit pupil isnt the last word in low light. a real good set of 10x40s is going to be better in low light then a cheaper set of 8x56. In my experience the biggest factor in low light performance is glass quality. Im not saying the preditors did bad. Im just saying i could see horns on a deer better with the nikons watching them in a feed pile at camp past legal shooting hours and that considering the differnce in price of those two binouculars it surprised me. Im sure not happy about it as i paid money for both and would have liked the stieners to beat the nikons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
The exit pupil on the the predator 10x42 is 4.2mm while the 8x42 is 5.25mm as noted by Bruce clearly gives the 8x the exit pupil advantage. I too am interested on the Steiner's esp. on its CAT lens technology --- my old eyes really like them.

Ed
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC