Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Steiner Nighthunter Binoculars

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2003, 07:31 PM
Gold Member

Steiner Nighthunter Binoculars

Anyone have a pair of the Nighthunter binocs? Good/Bad? Whadda think?
db
Old 11-29-2003, 09:32 AM

Re: Steiner Nighthunter Binoculars

Steiners themselves are good optics.

Predator coating is specialized in blocking some of the Primary colors, (blue & green) light wavelengths.
That enhances the other Primary color, Red which makes it stand out more.
Remember in science class, "Roy G Biv"?

Now since the color brown has red in it,....anything that is brownish will be seen somewhat better.
They are very good for hunting, but if doing multiple duty, ie., sports watching, etc., you won't have the benefit of more vibrant colors.
They can be somewhat harder to "read" ground terrain when scouting.

For example, if the Red Skins were playing the Eagles, and you are a Eagle fan, the Red Skins Cheerleader uniforms will look much better.

If multiduty glass is your need, then spend the $$$$ on a pair of high quality with a Broad Spectrum coatings.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:52 PM
Gold Member

G&G,

Thanks for your reply. What's the difference between the Nighthunter and the Predator? Could I get the same enhanced Red by wearing a pair of yellow shooting glasses?

db
Old 11-30-2003, 10:18 AM

Yellow glasses, no, not the exact same color results, but it will sharpen things on hazy, cloudy days.

If you have a problem with color,..color blindness, Predator will help with shapes.

Personally opt for broad spectrum coatings on quality binocs, and depending on the "days color" or where I'm hunting, I'll use different shooting glasses.

Also, given the same amount of $$$ to spend, a poro prism is usually of higher optical quality, image enhancing, and sometimes better overall construction (tougher).
Some oldies are still goodies.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:08 AM
Writers Guild

Nighthunters have coatings to increase light transmission to the eyes. It should equal what many Japanese brands use as standard. The predator tints the lenses to enhance certain colours but does not have the high end coatings for light transmission.

The nighthunter is better in low light, the predator maybe better for spotting game during the day.

Due to economics and what many birders said, I had a look at Nikon and Pentax binos. For the money, they are outstanding. I settled on the Nikon Monarch ATB in 8X42 since they were smaller and lighter then the Pentax HCF II (note the pentax had just slightly better colour trueness but difference was slight, equal clarity and resolution).

I couldn't be happier. Low light performance is superb. During my hunt, I could spot game in light I couldn't see in. The image resolution and clarity is top notch. Where the "lower" price of this one shows up is distortion around the edge. You would need to spend three times the money to solve that problem. I didn't see the point.

For under $300, I would strongly recommend the Nikons. They should be less money then the Steiners too. Give them a look...

Jerry
Old 12-03-2003, 11:24 AM
Bronze Member

I recently looked at just about every piece of glass I could get my hands on.

What I was looking for. Small Light wight Roof prism binoc's. Looked at Leica, Nikon, Swar, Zeiss, and Pentax...

What I bought. Pentax 8X28's...They are awesome...I highly recommend them..Especially for shooters who were glass's.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:21 PM
Writers Guild

Xring01, almost went that route too but decided on the larger objective lenses of 42mm just to make sure low light performance was as good as possible.

How are the Pentax in low light?

Jerry