Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Steel Rings with Aluminum Base?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 09:39 PM
Gold Member

Re: Steel Rings with Aluminum Base?

Here is the rational behind my thinking. I'm an engineer too and I work on things that get attached to engines and subject to a lot of vibration...

The scope just has to hold its parts together when subjected to recoil forces.

The rings have to carry the inertial forces of the scope

The base has to carry the inertial forces of the scope and rings (combined mass)

The screws that hold the base to the receiver have to carry the inertial forces of the scope, rings and the weight of the base itself.

I cheat a little and use blue loctite between the steel one piece scope base and the receiver. There is quite a bit of surface area for bonding and once it has set up, you can take the screws out and you should not be able to get the base to come off even if you hit it with a rubber mallet (don't ask how I know). I had to apply some heat with a propane torch to soften the loctite to get the base off.

Anyway, at EABCO.com the Warne steel rings are typically less than $30/pair and the base less than $100. The money one can pay for rings and bases (often made from aluminum) can be rather eye watering... I will not own another aluminum ring or base.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Here is the rational behind my thinking. I'm an engineer too and I work on things that get attached to engines and subject to a lot of vibration...

The scope just has to hold its parts together when subjected to recoil forces.

The rings have to carry the inertial forces of the scope

The base has to carry the inertial forces of the scope and rings (combined mass)

The screws that hold the base to the receiver have to carry the inertial forces of the scope, rings and the weight of the base itself.

I cheat a little and use blue loctite between the steel one piece scope base and the receiver. There is quite a bit of surface area for bonding and once it has set up, you can take the screws out and you should not be able to get the base to come off even if you hit it with a rubber mallet (don't ask how I know). I had to apply some heat with a propane torch to soften the loctite to get the base off.

Anyway, at EABCO.com the Warne steel rings are typically less than $30/pair and the base less than $100. The money one can pay for rings and bases (often made from aluminum) can be rather eye watering... I will not own another aluminum ring or base.
You are my neighbor BTW. You can stop by and I'll show you how I lap Warne Maxima's and have coffee or a beverage from the shop fridge.......

I use threadlocker between the base and receiver top but I use 273 High Strength Red. Scratch the mallet, use a sledgehammer.

No engineer here, just a machine shop owner/flunky.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Gold Member

I didn't use red because there are times when one needs to remove the base. I recently had to take the base off my Remington 700 action when I sent it to Mc Gowan to get a new barrel. I had to take the base of my model 12 Savage recently to fit a Shilen barrel. I know that one does not do this every few months, but also don't want it to be a huge battle when I know that blue loctite will more than carry the load already.

But maybe your scope is bigger than mine and maybe the powder charge in your cartridge is more than 45gr ???

Whereabouts in MI ? I am just South of Wolf lake, near Napoleon.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Between Deerfield and Petersburg on Adrain Deerfield Road or about 3 miles southwest of Cabelas, just over the Lenawee County line. I have a 517 Area code like you but I'm techinically in Monroe County.

I'm not in the habit of taking them apart once they are setup.