Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Steel Rings with Aluminum Base?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Steel Rings with Aluminum Base?

Keep an open mind when you ask this question, and don't forget that the rifle receiver is made of steel. Lots of suppliers manufacture 1-piece aluminum bases and they get mounted on the steel receivers by lots of shooters, including myself. No problems.

Also, remember that the scope tubes are aluminum and many shooters mount their aluminum scope tubes in steel scope rings.

And taking it one thought further, the scope tube is almost always aluminum and the rifle receiver is almost always steel, and the different thermal coefficients of expansion doesn't result in damage to the scope tubes. So the differences in the thermal coefficients of expansion is a non-issue with respect to scopes, scope rings, scope rails, and receivers in the temperature extremes we experience in normal use on planet earth.

I couldn't say why Leupold recommends against mounting their steel rings in an aluminum base. If their rings are the type that insert into a hole in the base and then have to be twisted 90 degrees in order to lock into place, then I could understand some concern from the perspective of the steel/aluminum bearing friction fit. If they're picatinny style rings/bases, then I believe there would be no problems whatsoever. I suppose you'd have to ask Leupold why they advise against this. It could be as simple as by making this statement, it increases the odds you'll buy some Leupold bases to match your Leupold rings. More profit for Leupold.

PS: I'm one of them engineers too. And I admit it even scars me at times!
Old 03-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Gold Member

I did go to the Leupold sight and hit the "Ask An Expert" button. Unfortunately, I had to just send a message to them. If I hear back, I'll post their answer.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrodmar10 View Post
Geargrinder
I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. You must have posted your first post while I was answering Engineering 101's post. I didn't see it until now. I didn't mean to make it look like I didn't think you knew what you were talking about. I'm open to all opinions. I'm just curious why Leupold advises that.
Didn't hurt my feelings at all. Just pointing out that you can't determine credentials bases on someone's screen name.

I thought D.ID's comment was funny. And I've been around enough engineer's to know it is the absolute truth.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Gold Member

Just got an answer back from Sean Chiles from Leupold's "Ask An Expert". I had asked why they didn't suggest using their steel Mark 4 rings with aluminum bases. Sean's answer was "Steel is harder than aluminum." Why didn't I think of that. I sure am glad I asked a real expert. I wonder if Sean is an engineer.

Oh, and Gear grinder, you missed the smiley face too didn't you.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Sean's answer was "Steel is harder than aluminum." Why didn't I think of that.
Mystery solved. Tee hee
Old 03-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
Warne makes steel one piece picatinny style bases. You can find them at eabco.com for less than $100. Warne also makes very good steel vertically split Maxima Rings. I personally like them and other than the fact that one cannot lap them, I feel they are superior to the Leupold rings. Warne is all I use.
You can, I do it all the time. Just did a set on a Savage Model 19. There is a definite procedure and you can't mix the halves once lapped, but it can be done. I like Warne rings as well. Use them all the time. Warne Maxima's and Talley. If you want the procedure, send me a PM and I'll detail it for you.

Answering Engineering 101's claim about expansion coefficients between aluminum and steel, my comment is, that does apply with large surface areas and mass but not with scope rails and rings, at least not in my many years of mounting scopes. I apply threadlocker, torque them and forget them. never had one set come back.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Just got an answer back from Sean Chiles from Leupold's "Ask An Expert". I had asked why they didn't suggest using their steel Mark 4 rings with aluminum bases. Sean's answer was "Steel is harder than aluminum." Why didn't I think of that. I sure am glad I asked a real expert. I wonder if Sean is an engineer.

Oh, and Gear grinder, you missed the smiley face too didn't you.
Not always. depends entirrely on the grade and heat treatment. Of course that don't apply to consumer components but true nonetheless.