Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

steel base and aluminum rings?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 12:45 AM
Gold Member

steel base and aluminum rings?

Is this a bad idea? I've heard this is a bad setup. I have a steel base and was planning on using TPS steel rings. But I came across some Seekins rings. So I was wondering if going with aluminum rings will work? What is your experience? Thanks
Old 08-04-2013, 08:14 AM
Platinum Member

Re: steel base and aluminum rings?

Probably will be ok. What caliber are you shooting?

joseph
Old 08-04-2013, 09:40 AM
Gold Member

I'm shooting the Lazzeroni Warbird.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Since it is a souped up .308 I would think that your mounts and rings will be just fine. The Warbird kind of limits you to maybe 1,000 yds. for hunting. If you were shooting a big caliber like the .338 Titan I would go with all steel. The Warbird is a plinker compared to the Titan. IMHO.

joseph

PS: Lets see some target groups you shoot with it at long range. I'm wondering if yours will out shoot my 1,500$ rifle.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Gold Member

You're kidding right? I guess you could call the warbird a souped up .308. Some would say really souped up. As in 3650 fps shooting a 168gr bullet. Now I do agree the Titan is a beast as is all big 338s. I consider them to be in different categories though. Also my rifle was much less than yours. I'm no rich snob. Just always wanted a warbird and finally was able to buy one. Now I'm trying to get it setup right the first time.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

I stand corrected. I did not look up the ballistics and didn't know that the Warbird gained about 700 fps over a stock .308. I also thought you had a Lazzeroni rifle. They don't come cheep.

Anyway I am sure it will shoot pretty good. Let us know how it works out for you. Longrange shooting is a hoot. I used to bench rest shoot at 100 & 200 yards. until I shot a 1.75" group at 400 yds. the first time I shot that far at paper. Now I shoot out to 1K plus. Lots of fun.

joseph
Old 08-05-2013, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
Since it is a souped up .308 I would think that your mounts and rings will be just fine. The Warbird kind of limits you to maybe 1,000 yds. for hunting. If you were shooting a big caliber like the .338 Titan I would go with all steel. The Warbird is a plinker compared to the Titan. IMHO.

joseph

PS: Lets see some target groups you shoot with it at long range. I'm wondering if yours will out shoot my 1,500$ rifle.
I don't think you're very familiar with the 7.82 Lazzeroni Warbird caliber.....It is not a souped up .308 Win...

I'm pretty sure that at over 3" long (7.82 Warbird) vs 2.810" (.308 Win), the Warbird is not simply a "souped up .308".... It is most comparable to a .300 RUM or .300 AllenMag, than anything else. That kinda puts it into a whole different category, like long-action magnum calibers (7.82 Warbird) vs short-action standard calibers (.308).

I don't own an Lazzeroni calibers, but I would like to have a 7.82 Warbird someday.

I think you might be confusing the 7.82 Warbird, with the 7.82 Patriot, which is basically a .300 WSM.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.