Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Standard animal size chart for ranging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2006, 08:44 PM
Bronze Member

Standard animal size chart for ranging

I have seen it here somewhere, but cannot find it now that I am printing reference charts for a pig hunt in South Texas.
I know a whitetail is 18", but what about a pig, Axis buck, antelope, ect.

Thanks,
Old 01-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Standard animal size chart for ranging

Brown Trout:

"Here is one site that lists a chart of animal sizes"

Hope this helps you out.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Platinum Member

Brown Trout

Back in the "good ole days" optical ranging was the only game in town. As you will see from the chart, animals are much like people and come in a variety of sizes. It is very important to determine if the animal you are ranging is a small or larger individual. Failure to correctly estimate the true chest measurement can lead to a range error of 15 to 20 %. If you can ,try to compare the body of the animal you are fixing to shoot to any does or other bucks to see if it is larger or smaller. Obviuosly the hardest animal to range is an individual standing by itself. I have used tree diameter on occaision to compare to the animal because I had scouted the exact spot of the shot and knew how thick the trees were.

One thing is you should practice optical ranging on a known object. Exactly how you use the stadia/plexs and whether you measure to the edges or to the centers is a source of error.

Optical ranging can be done and it can be very accurate out to long ranges.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Gold Member

WEll depending on the hogs in the area your going to hunt I would go with 12 - 18", or simply just use 15" and be done with it. Most of the ones we shoot fall into the 80 - 150# class, with many hitting 200# and up.

Here is a very informative site on them,
http://www.texasboars.com/

And the link at the bottom has some of the ones we have taken this year and in the past. We got a nice 320# one the weekend after Thanksgiving, along with several more that were really nice.

Good luck on your hunt, and remember that their vitals are up front between the shoulders and not behind them. A good shot is just behind the front point of the shoulder and a little below midway down from the top. This generally drops then every time in their tracks and doesn't mess up hardly any meat. You will see what I am referring to in the pictures on the site above.

My Photo's

"Heck why would I lie, most folks don't believe the truth when I tell them"