Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Spotting scopes from Telescope makers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Silver Member
Re: Spotting scopes from Telescope makers?

I was at 400 yds last summer and saw what I thought was a real flyer, high and to the right, 9 inches. Turns out, it was a fly, not my 2nd shot which was 1/4 in away from the last shot, just lucky. Didn't realize it till I saw the live fly walking across the target. 500 yds, it's tough to see holes.

Unread 03-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Silver Member

Maybe under optimum conditions you can see the bullet holes, if you know where to look, but maybe you won't always have optimum conditions?

The thing I worry about with celestial scopes is their ruggedness and weatherproofing, if not actual waterproofing?

It's hard to beat a spotting scope designed for the purpose for which you intend to use it. Meade's and such are meant to focus on stars, points of light, not necessarily to discern bullet holes in paper. If you get one and it works great, I would be very interested to know it.

Good hunting. LB
Unread 03-08-2006, 06:30 PM

Well, the 90mm model is rubber coated, and I only plan on using it at the range, so I guess I can always take the plunge, buy it, and if it sucks, return it. I have to go somewhere and try out a Swaro or Zeiss to see what really good looks like for a comparison. I have limited use(NEVER, actually) with high end optics, so I have no clue really what good glass looks like. Who knows, I might just have to save up all year and get a Zeiss. Maybe more than a year, who knows. The wife would flip if I dropped cash on something like that without proof of saving for months to get the cash!
Unread 03-08-2006, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

Bullet holes at 500 yards is tough to see as stated above. If there is any mirage you will have to power down making things clearer but smaller. Conditions have to be almost perfect. That is one of the reasons we shoot steel. The bullet splash in sprayed on paint will confirm the location of the first hit quite easily and then if the following shots hit you will hear it. If the splash dosen't grow then the hits are close. If it grows or you get a new splash mark you can see that. Paper holes are always small and hard to see.

I think your requirements for a scope are similar to my requirements. My numero uno stipulation was that the scope would focus at the highest power. Many cheaper scopes would focus at the lower powers but when you got near max X they would stay a little blurry no matter what you did. This will affect (shorten) the max distance you can discern holes when the conditions are perfect.

If you want to look through the high dollar scopes go ahead BUT BE WARNED!!! You WILL see the difference and you will want one, bad. I recommend these separate approaches.

1. Pick your price and buy the scope that offers you the most features and (looked through) quality in that range.
2. Pick your features after finding out what is most important and buy the cheapest scope with those features that also meats your optical standards (after looking through it and satisfying yourself that it meets your needs).
3. Go full nuts and save your money for the best scope you can stand to buy. Look through these as well. You will find one for you that may or may not have the highest price tag.

And while you are conjuring up a price you should include $300 for a Manfrotto tripod and tripod head that has the features you like (combined approx cost). The best scope won't do you a bit of good if it jiggles all the time. And your back will thank you for buying a full size tripos to stand behind. Consider a pistol grip tripod head. The conventional ones often leave you looking through the scope with a handle bumping your Adams apple.
GRAVITY. It's not just a good idea. It's the LAW!
Unread 03-12-2006, 10:12 PM

I cracked and bought a Nikon kit 15-45x I have yet to regret it good nikon glass GREAT focus ability the 20-60x80 is my next purchase. 45x I can see bullet holes in cheap walmart targets at 300yards on white paper it is really easy, but let the day warm up and it gets hard.