Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Spotting scopes from Telescope makers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2006, 05:03 PM

Spotting scopes from Telescope makers?

Hello to all, this is my first post here. I am about to upgrade my spotter for range use, and after looking at several different models from sports optics makers, I thought "What about telescope makers? They only make optics to look at PLANETS, the glass has to be good." So, after doing some research, I had found some spotters made by Celestron and Meade (kinda partial to Celestron, my buddy has this huge cannon looking thing otherwise known as a telescope from them, its badass), and they run from under $600 to the most badass looking ones(think watching the space shuttle launches) just a hair over $600. Some of em are not variable power, you adjust the MAG by using different sized eyepieces. Getting 100x out of em is CAKE. What do you guys think?

kinda badass, $200
http://www.celestron.com/prod_pgs/spot/c90_mak_04.htm

really badass, $630
http://www.celestron.com/prod_pgs/sp...spotter_04.htm

Your input is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:55 AM
Silver Member

Re: Spotting scopes from Telescope makers?

I came to the same conclusion - have (actually had, as my wife has liberated it) a Minimak from celestron for spotting at 30 mag - closeish in. VERY light (as are many catadioptrics) - Fine for the use it was bought for though I'm the first to criticise this particular model for being not all that crisp - but for 75$cdn I did not expect it.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member

Neither of these advertise that they have "Fully" Multi coated lenses. That can mean that the coatings are only on one side of the lenses and not necessarily all the lenses. The light gathering abilities of the 5" might be negated if the coatings are not up to snuff. Also the powers advertised are a bit high. I would look at cost and availability of lenses in the 15 to 25 power range for spotting shots on targets. At the higher powers the mirage will be a handicapping factor.

Have you looked through either of these scopes? I would recommend looking through all the scopes you are interested in that fit your price range. LOOK THROUGH THEM OUTSIDE FROM A TRIPOD. It will be hard to determine if they are worth a hoot for shooting and hunting if you are only looking at the back of the store. Pick something small to look at like a distant license plate and see what kind of detail you notice. If you see big numbers then look for small ones. If you see small numbers then look for slots in the screw heads. try two scopes side by side and look at the same thing. This will help you see what the optical differences are. Also consider the feeling of durability you have when you hold the scope. Does it feel fragile or does it feel strong. You might be very careful not to bump it and knock it around but will your friends be that careful? Will you use it in rough terrain where it will get jostled on the ride in. $600 is a lot of money and it could be wasted from a single fall if the insides get damaged.

Good luck and spend wisely. And welcome to the LRH forums. Search for "spotting scope" and input my screen name for posts newer than 4 years and you should find lots of good advice from lots of good folks here. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 03-07-2006, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the info. I had planned o going to a telescope shop to see if they had any of those spotters for a demo. I was hoping to get the best bang for the buck to see bullet holes in paper @ up to 500yd. I shall do a search. The last thing I want to do is drop $1600 on a Zeiss spotter, that money is for the US Optics to go on my 7mm!!
Old 03-07-2006, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

I am really happy with my $500 Minox SD. In this thread I gave a range report on seeing 7mm bullet holes on white paper at 300 yards. It comes with a zoom lens and has other lenses available and a photo adapter as well.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:12 AM
Silver Member

I have the ultima 80 straight and can see .223 holes at 300 yds, no problem. For less than $200, it's a great spotter!
Old 03-08-2006, 10:01 AM

So then, would it be safe to say that no matter how good the glass is, if there is mirage, you pretty much will not be able to see bullet holes anyways? What I want is to see unmistakable bullet holes clear as day out to 500. I shoot up 8.5"x14" computer paper with a homemade yellow and red dot with a 1" thick crosshair on it. The wind is always blowing where I shoot, so I hardly ever put bullets in the black.