Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Spotting scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-21-2009, 12:47 PM
Silver Member
Re: Spotting scopes

Originally Posted by bwaites View Post
My shooting partner and I have this scope:

Vortex Optics - Vortex Skyline 20-60x80 (Angled) Spotting Scope

We have been MORE than happy with it's performance and reliability over the last 18 months.
1+ you should at least check this one out!

It is not the best for backpacking, but it has a life time warrenty.

I'm pleased with mine, for the money its hard to beat!

Unread 05-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Bronze Member

I got a Leupold Wind River 15 x 45. It does the job.

God Bless The USA
Unread 05-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

I have a leupold gold ring I use for f-class. I used somebody elses Kowa that was way better. I think the cost isn't far out of your range just depends on what model and eye piece you get.

"Amazing things can happen when preparation meet opportunity" Richard Schatz

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran
Unread 05-22-2009, 05:41 AM
Gold Member

on a good day, there are no bad optics, they all look good.
however on a bad day, or in low light, is where the difference will show up. there are long eye relief eyepieces for eye glass wearers. select a scope where the eyepiece can be changed.
also, the e.d. coatings arent worth the cost for a hunting scope.
i personaly wouldnt hesitate buying a used scope.
weve bought lots of them on ebay.
quality scopes like the older kowa tsn 70mm models can be bought for a fraction of current cost.
im still using a pair of B&L balscopes in a bracket. they are 60s vintage scopes, and are as good as new.
Unread 05-30-2010, 07:59 PM

I just bought a Nikon Prostaff 20-60x82 angled body for 478.00 delivered. I did a lot of research and shopping and from what I can tell the Nikon is superior in every way to the Bushnell Excursion. Go to and have thenm email you their sale price.
Unread 06-01-2010, 06:44 AM
Bronze Member

Originally Posted by ejones338 View Post
Several of us at work brought in our spotting scopes to compare them. Leica, leupold, nikon, etc.. The decision was unanimous that the nikon was the overall winner for the bang for your buck. The leica was BARELY clearer, but not enough to justify the cost.
Was your test conducted in daylight hours in ample sunlight? If so, try your test the last 15 minutes of daylight or the early in the morning... I bet you have a different opinion of the Leica spotting scope. Those low light conditions is where the difference is seen. On a deer hunt in Nevada with a buddy who had a Leica Televid is where I learned the difference. He could see bucks that were just blobs in my Nikon. In the mid-day, our eyes couldn't see much difference in the two scopes. NJS