Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Spotting scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Gold Member
Re: Spotting scopes

what you use the scope for and where you use it will determine the ideal power.
in western states with lower humidity, higher powers work better.
in the east, or high humidity areas, 48x would be hard to use on a regular basis.
thats why the varieable power eyepieces have become popular.
also, an eyeglass wearer might consider a long eye relief eye piece.
those of us who use twin spotters as binoculars dont use varieable eyepieces for several reasons.
for most users using a single scope, the varieable would work best.

Unread 02-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Silver Member

Several of us at work brought in our spotting scopes to compare them. Leica, leupold, nikon, etc.. The decision was unanimous that the nikon was the overall winner for the bang for your buck. The leica was BARELY clearer, but not enough to justify the cost.
Unread 02-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Silver Member

I live and hunt in Saskatchewan. We typically do not get much fro humidity. I will be using the spotting scope for whitetails as well as mule deer, and other general hunting.
Unread 02-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Silver Member

My shooting partner and I have this scope:

Vortex Optics - Vortex Skyline 20-60x80 (Angled) Spotting Scope

We have been MORE than happy with it's performance and reliability over the last 18 months.

I took it to a shooting clinic last year and we compared it with Kowa's, Nikons, Bushnells, and several others. We could not see any significant difference at ranges out to approx. 800 yards, and interestingly, my sons, both who have better eyes than I, kept coming back to the Vortex over the more expensive Kowas and Nikons. Both said they liked the Vortex better.

It does not have the best eye relief in class, however, so if you need more eye relief, there may be better options.

It also comes in an ED version for approx. $300 more, but we have been very happy with the non-ED version.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson
Unread 05-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Silver Member

I have decided to go with either a Bushnell Excursion 20-80ED or a Nikon Nikon 20-60x82 ProStaff Outfit. In your experinece which is the better spotter for the money. I can get the Bushnel brand new for around $400.00, and the Nikon is around $500.00 reconditioned which does scare me a bit. I am leaning towards the Bushnell.
Unread 05-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Platinum Member

I also have a Bushnell Excursion 20-80ED. I am very happy with it. I can resolve bullet holes in white paper @ 600 yards also. I do wear glasses and think the eye relief is lacking a bit, but I got it very cheap at a store closing. The image at the far edges is also a bit blurry but doesn't hinder you at all with the 80mm OBJ. I have read others say the same about the blurry extreme edges and eye relief as well. I have no intention of sending it back for repair because I'm afraid it won't come back with the high quality imagery it currently has. In other words I think it's so good I'm afraid to mess with it. I haven't looked through anything else other than a BSA so my in put is very subjective.
"I may be dumb, but I'm not stupid." - Terry Bradshaw
Unread 05-21-2009, 12:15 PM
Silver Member

Thx for the help very much appreciated. I haven't been able to compare any of the models side by side either, so I am shooting in the dark so to speak.