Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Spotting Scopes????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Silver Member

Re: Spotting Scopes????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wachsmann View Post
Hello all,
I am looking at somewhat the same thing. I want to buy a new spotter because I went the cheap way and bought a bushnell legend. Its a 20X45X60 or a 20X60X60. All I can say is dont try and use it at any low light conditions and when on the higher mag the image is not very clear. I been looking at some of the Nikons but I dont want to through away 800.00 dollars and not be pleased. I leanning towards saving the bones and getting a zeiss. I have a zeiss rifle scope and binoculars. They preform great in all lighting conditions. Any ideal?. Has anyone used the Nikons that cabelas carries? Looking to spot elk, and deer and would like to be able to make out there points from at least 3/4mile away or better. Thanks.
I can answer this one as I am adding this new scope to accompany my Nikon 20-45x60 ED Spotter. The scope is great. It really is. The big question though is Do you wear eye glasses? If you do I would look elsewhere than the Nikon. For looking as far as you are, go with the biggest one you can afford. The Nikon will treat you very well. Talk to Liberty Optics (Scott) on here. He is hooking me up BIG TIME on the Kowa 884 and he carries the Nikon as well.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

Well I bit the bullet. Ordered a Kowa 884 w/20-60X, case, window mount, and the 25X long eye relief eyepiece. Not sure if we will really need the 25x but my Dad wears glasses and if it helps him see better I am sure we will keep it. I am excited and Scott at Liberty Optics was REALLY REALLY great to deal with. Deal BLEW away anything I could find on the net. Not going to post it so dont ask but it wont be beat.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Silver Member

Resurrecting an old thread.

I spotted for another shooter yesterday using his older Kowa with what he said was a 27 power eyepiece. Real nice.

I have also looked thru a Swarovski recently, the new HD. With out a doubt a great scope. Both great for bench work, neither long haul carry scopes.

Sad to see the fallen dollar since this thread was started as these scopes are major bucks today. But great glass is great glass.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottBerish View Post
Any wind, mirage, haze, dust, looking toward the sun or whatever else usually raises its ugly head when spotting under field conditions and you are likely not able to see what you describe, no matter the spotter. There are a lot of guys who are relatively new to this game and their expectations need to be realistic.
Conditions are important. No commercial spotting scope corrects for atmospheric conditions.

Try this. Spray paint a thin sheet of aluminum (1/16" works) with flat black paint. Any thin material which leaves a clean hole will work. Put a white bed sheet (or similar) on the berm several feet behind the target so it's in the shooter's line of sight behind the target. Set this up so the sun does not shine directly on the face of the target but does shine directly on the white sheet. With that you can see bullet holes at 1000 yards with just about any spotting scope unless mirage is really bad. You can add aiming markings on the black surface in subdued colors with little reduction in the ability to see the holes.

The human eye senses light, not dark. It's always easier to see a white spot on a black surface than a black spot on a white surface when the spot is unresolved.

Last edited by LouBoyd; 03-22-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 06:48 PM
Silver Member

Lou, that makes a lot of sense. Seen this first hand but really did not realize it for what it is until I read your post. Many thanks.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Gold Member

I've been testing the Zen-Ray 20x60x82 ED-2 recently and am very impressed. Having looked through several different high end spotters, this is one of the best, and at a very competitive price. One can buy the zen ray from Camerland for 1K and get a scope that is equal to scopes 1.5 to 3 times as much. Using a standard eye chart I was able to read the 20/20 line at 300 yds. on 60x. 17 cal. bullet holes were easy to define at 200 yds. Edge distortion was virtually non-existent and color rendition is excellent. With a lifetime transferable warranty this Oregon based company makes some fine optics. If you need a GOOD spotter, give this one a consideration.

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS
Old 03-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Peacock View Post
I use a Kowa 603 ED Prominar with a high end 20x-60x eyepiece (TSE-Z9B). It is phenomenal, however I haven't looked at other top of the line scopes. It is easily clearer than my 10x40 zeiss binoculars (they are no slouch either).

Just another option to make your decision even tougher ;)

AJ
I use an 82mm Kowa with the standard coatings, and unless it was a Swarovski; I saw nothing better. The Kowa with the Flourite lenses is just as good as the Swarovski, but also much more expensive than the samething with the standard lense coatings. With the 27x eyepiece I can easilly pick out the .06" pin on a pop rivit at 400 yards, so yes I think it would do a quarter inch hole at 900+ yards with a really good mount.
gary