Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Spotting Scopes????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Silver Member

Spotting Scopes????

I am trying to decide on what 80mm+ spotting scope to get. I have read rave reviews about the Pentax and everyone knows the Zeiss is top notch. Swaro is over priced I think, your just paying for the name. Biggest thing is I found the complete Pentax 20-60x 80mmED scope for $1049 shipped. I then found the Zeiss 85mm for $1295 and I would need an eye- piece that I could find for roughly $400. That makes it $650 more than the Pentax. I am wondering if the Zeiss is worth the extra money or not?? WWUD?

I would also love to hear of any good deals anyone may know about or if ya have a used one, shoot me a PM!
Old 09-09-2008, 10:09 AM
SPONSOR

Re: Spotting Scopes????

Of all of the spotters I have used, messed with, and sell the best one i have seen is the Swaro, you pay for more than the name trust me. Now recently i have played with a Nikon ED Field Scope and i have to say i think it is probably just as good as the swaro, and about $1K cheaper.

with my swaro i was able to spot 6mm bullet holes in a white anti freeze jug a 975yds

steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 09-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member

I use the Leica APO and am impressed everytime I use it..
Old 09-10-2008, 02:32 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sako7STW View Post
I am trying to decide on what 80mm+ spotting scope to get. I have read rave reviews about the Pentax and everyone knows the Zeiss is top notch. Swaro is over priced I think, your just paying for the name. Biggest thing is I found the complete Pentax 20-60x 80mmED scope for $1049 shipped. I then found the Zeiss 85mm for $1295 and I would need an eye- piece that I could find for roughly $400. That makes it $650 more than the Pentax. I am wondering if the Zeiss is worth the extra money or not?? WWUD?

I would also love to hear of any good deals anyone may know about or if ya have a used one, shoot me a PM!

I ask you to not spend the $$$ on the Pentax. It's not worth it, IMO.

Kowa is a top of the line spotter, worthy of all serious considration.. The Nikon ED is another winner. The Zeiss is worth more cash than the Pentax.

What are your goals and objectives with the spotter??

Scott
Old 09-10-2008, 02:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerch View Post
with my swaro i was able to spot 6mm bullet holes in a white anti freeze jug a 975yds

steve
A 0.25 inch hole at nearly 1000 yards??? Hmmmmmmmmmm
Old 09-11-2008, 12:59 AM
Silver Member

I will be useing the scope for hunting purposes. Looking long ranges for Elk, Antlope, and Deer. I havethe smaller Nikon ED and we have just seen that at times we need a brighter, stronger power scope. My Dad also has a heck of a time using the Nikon with his glasses. Something I have read in several reviews that the Nikon just doesnt do well and I agree.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:53 AM
Silver Member

Hello all,
I am looking at somewhat the same thing. I want to buy a new spotter because I went the cheap way and bought a bushnell legend. Its a 20X45X60 or a 20X60X60. All I can say is dont try and use it at any low light conditions and when on the higher mag the image is not very clear. I been looking at some of the Nikons but I dont want to through away 800.00 dollars and not be pleased. I leanning towards saving the bones and getting a zeiss. I have a zeiss rifle scope and binoculars. They preform great in all lighting conditions. Any ideal?. Has anyone used the Nikons that cabelas carries? Looking to spot elk, and deer and would like to be able to make out there points from at least 3/4mile away or better. Thanks.