Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

Spotting scopes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2002, 09:12 PM
Gold Member

Re: Spotting scopes?

Just out of curiosity, how about the Kowa's? I've been eyeballing one for a while now, as they seem pretty popular on the Highpower/DCM scene. Had a chance to look thru an older one a while back at the Boomer Shoot, and it was nice. Old and heavily used, but still nice. I think the Leupold 12-40x would be a better packable 'hunting' scope, but I'm curious what you guys think of the Kowa for 'stationary' stuff, like (relatively) long range varminting from a bench, 1k BR, etc.

Monte
Old 08-12-2002, 12:30 PM

milanuk,
I have a Kowa 821 with the zoom eye piece and I like it very well. They have now come out with a new verison which of course the price is higher.
Go to www.adorama.com and check the models and the prices.
Old 08-12-2002, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

For you guys that use the bigeyes. What is the difference between them and say a pair of fixed or variable binos with a 60mm obj. that are for sale quite a few places? Some are only 30 power but some are higher, but most are only a fraction the price of the bigeye setup costs.

I have had a couple lower end Bushnell spotting scopes and was not impressed in the least at power settings above about 35. Are the Spacemasters really all that better, or do they just seem better because of the comfort in viewing factored in?

The reason I ask is that most people can't see or even appreciate the difference between a Bushnell, Nikon, Leopold or a Swarovski unless first told there is a difference.

How do the Kowas rate?

Any way to mount two Leopold 12-40x60's up like you do? I'd only have to buy one more and a bracket too. The glass is great in it on top of the very low 12 power setting also. The field of view is comfortable and just plain huge compared to the 20x of all the others.
Old 08-13-2002, 08:22 AM
Platinum Member

Brent

When building Bigeyes, we try to stay with a fixed power. There is no way to adjust "exactly" two variables when you try to put them in a bracket.

The best power for the bigeyes and for extended viwing is 20X to 32X. The best diameter objectives are from 60mm to 82 MM.

The big difference between the hand helds and the bigeyes is the eyepiece diameter of the spotting scopes in a bracket (Bigeyes) and the focal length. They will outperform ANY handheld made for extended viewing and less eye strain when using the same power.
I have put 45 sets of these together and anyone who has bought them, can't believe the differance compared to their handhelds.

A small problem is size of the bigeyes. They are a bit bigger then some of the handhelds but not much bigger then the Steiner 20X 80 MM. The 60 MM Spacemasters in a bracket with a 22WA eyepice will outperform ANY 20X 80mm on the market.

You can wrap the bigeyes in Bubble wrap and put them in your back pack with a small tripod if your going out on an observation point or hunting spot.

You will pay more for a good set of Zeiss or Swavorsky hand helds then you will for a set of bigeyes. You will have better viewing for extended time and less eye strain with the bigeyes.

I sell the Bushnell Spacemasters in a Bracket with 22X Wide angle eyepieces for $750.00 when I can find the Spacemaster tubes.

Darryl Cassel
Old 08-13-2002, 03:01 PM
Bronze Member

I have to say that Darryl builds a mean set of Bigeyes everyone that has seen mine has tried to beg barrow and steal them even threatend me with bodley harm to get them or just leave me on a river bed till I come to see the light and agree to sell them well it will have to be a really cold day here for me to part with them when you look through then it is like you have seen the light [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I am one happy wolf hunter have a great day >>Coyote Slayer [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]