Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Long Range Scopes and Other Optics

Long Range Scopes and Other Optics Nightforce Optics

spotting scopes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2013, 10:29 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: spotting scopes

Ok, I'll admit it...this is a shameless plug for our product....but hear me out on this one.

For target shooting you will be able to see shots of any caliber far far better if you use one of our TargetCam systems. I'm the owner of www.TargetCam.net and I personally guarantee you this. Even the best spotting scopes won't get you enough clarity to see shots at much over 400-500 yards. I've tested our TargetCam system out at over 3 miles and can see 22 caliber holes clear as a bell....yep, .22 holes at over 3 miles away...see every one totally clear!!!

As for your hunting needs I'd go with the Konus 20-60X80 spotter. At only $250 or so it's almost as good as the scopes that cost 3-4 times as much. Plus if it's only a $250 scope that you are taking into the back-country on hunting trips it's a lot less stress than packing a $3k scope.

So, my recommendation, and I know I am extremely bias here, is to get one of our systems for the range and a Konus for hunting. I actually have this combination myself and it works great.

Keith Averill - Owner of www.TargetCam.net
feel free to call me directly with questions about our TargetCam systems
(775)852-9449
Old 10-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF View Post
Wow, good stuff Mr. Bruce. So where would the Zeiss Dialyt be in the mix? It's about 1200$ so.....in the mid-class. Would it be comparable to the Gold Ring HD ?
Thanks Brent
Zeiss Dialyt, hmm, letís see:
Aluminum body - yes
Long eye relief eyepiece - yes
HD glass - no

The glass is good for a non-HD scope, but it still has more color fringing than HD optics do. The eyepiece is a bit difficult to use at high magnification, so a longer eye relief would be better. But this is a different type of spotting scope than all the others we discussed. Itís a lightweight field scope and is intended to be used most often hand-held at low magnification, possibly supporting the objective on a monopod, tree limb, fence post, car window, etc. Itís not the type of scope I would choose for glassing large areas for hours at a time. For a more general purpose scope, I would choose the Gold Ring HD, which people often use like a field scope.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 10-03-2013, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

bruce_ventura: Mr Bruce! My hats off to you because you seem to really know your optics. From what Ive learned about the glass...etc...etc....you hit the nail on the head with every stroke!

Sully
Old 10-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. Interacting with folks on this forum, I've learned a lot about how optics are used. That's been very helpful to me.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 10-03-2013, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetCam View Post
Ok, I'll admit it...this is a shameless plug for our product....but hear me out on this one.

For target shooting you will be able to see shots of any caliber far far better if you use one of our TargetCam systems. I'm the owner of www.TargetCam.net and I personally guarantee you this. Even the best spotting scopes won't get you enough clarity to see shots at much over 400-500 yards. I've tested our TargetCam system out at over 3 miles and can see 22 caliber holes clear as a bell....yep, .22 holes at over 3 miles away...see every one totally clear!!!

As for your hunting needs I'd go with the Konus 20-60X80 spotter. At only $250 or so it's almost as good as the scopes that cost 3-4 times as much. Plus if it's only a $250 scope that you are taking into the back-country on hunting trips it's a lot less stress than packing a $3k scope.

So, my recommendation, and I know I am extremely bias here, is to get one of our systems for the range and a Konus for hunting. I actually have this combination myself and it works great.

Keith Averill - Owner of www.TargetCam.net
feel free to call me directly with questions about our TargetCam systems
(775)852-9449

Your boasting is misleading at best. You didnt actually SEE....physically see...holes at that distance...your "TV" camera picked them up and re-broadcast them to your receiver. MEGA TONS of difference.

It wont take long for people to see thru that smoke screen!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:11 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce_ventura View Post
Zeiss Dialyt, hmm, letís see:
Aluminum body - yes
Long eye relief eyepiece - yes
HD glass - no

The glass is good for a non-HD scope, but it still has more color fringing than HD optics do. The eyepiece is a bit difficult to use at high magnification, so a longer eye relief would be better. But this is a different type of spotting scope than all the others we discussed. Itís a lightweight field scope and is intended to be used most often hand-held at low magnification, possibly supporting the objective on a monopod, tree limb, fence post, car window, etc. Itís not the type of scope I would choose for glassing large areas for hours at a time. For a more general purpose scope, I would choose the Gold Ring HD, which people often use like a field scope.
Thanks Bruce, I guess I just assumed the Dialyt had HD glass.

Whenever I see a post from you, I always read it, because it seems to be an informed and unbiased opinion. Appreciate the insight.
Brent
Old 10-03-2013, 09:29 PM
Platinum Member

Sully....

Obummer uses a tele-prompter (TV camera) for speeches so it can't be all that bad..................